Help me stock a 5.5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just out of curiosity, what do sparkling gouramis eat? I have a 5.5 gallon tank as well, and might get some...

Just out of curiosity, what do sparkling gouramis eat? I have a 5.5 gallon tank as well, and might get some...

They're omnivores and need both vegetable based and meaty foods. I'm probably going to feed a high quality flake and floating granule food as well as live food. :>

Morgie said:
They're omnivores and need both vegetable based and meaty foods. I'm probably going to feed a high quality flake and floating granule food as well as live food. :>

And will they eat freeze dried krill or brine shrimp? Also, do they have to be moved to brackish and salt water eventually?

They're freshwater, so no need to move them into brackish water!
I'm sure they will eat freeze dried food, but I don't generally feed freeze dried food because it can cause bloat. If I do feed it I give it to my larger predatory fish (like my sunfish) that can actually process it well and get some nutrients out of it with no ill effects.

Morgie said:
They're freshwater, so no need to move them into brackish water!
I'm sure they will eat freeze dried food, but I don't generally feed freeze dried food because it can cause bloat. If I do feed it I give it to my larger predatory fish (like my sunfish) that can actually process it well and get some nutrients out of it with no ill effects.

Awesome! I will portably get one for my 5.5! :) but would only one fit, or could I put in two or three?

Morgie said:
If you only want to have sparkling gouramis you could do 2-3 :>

What about annual killies? How many of them could I have/

annual killies? I honestly wouldn't put more than three in a 5.5
you may be able to do 2 killies and 1 sparkling gourami. I haven't had any experience keeping the two together so I'm not sure how well they would get along in a small tank, though they are both peaceful species.

strike that, I would definitely stick to a pair of killies instead of a trio, they can become aggressive with each other.

Morgie said:
annual killies? I honestly wouldn't put more than three in a 5.5
you may be able to do 2 killies and 1 sparkling gourami. I haven't had any experience keeping the two together so I'm not sure how well they would get along in a small tank, though they are both peaceful species.

Oh. Ok. Sorry about my typing error! Lol! Sometimes auto correct changes my typos to random words too. I will probably start off with a pair, but im not sure where I can find any, especially the female ones.

haha! It's no problem, I was able to get what you were saying ;)
I've seen some killies at petsmart, although I'm pretty sure they weren't properly labeled (typical). I only noticed them because my mom pointed them out as being cute, but I had to remind her they'd be gobbled up in a second in any of my tanks :b

There's all kinds of 'annual' killifish with different sizes and temperments, it's hard to generalize about multiple genera like that.
Very true! I still think I'd keep a max of three no matter what the particular species of annual in a 5.5

I think the blue and orange kind are called nothobranchius, but I think they come in other colors as well.

Here's my tank, as a "before" model:
img_1478024_0_7c0951c55bb35ceb23f8a56f27b678e7.jpg

I wasn't lying when I said it was run down.
This is going to be my big project for today. It's got a ton of hair algae. Most of the plants are dying so I'll be taking those out and starting completely fresh.
To do:
Remove plants
Clean algae
Vacuum gravel
Clean decor
Replace some gravel with sand (?)
New plants
Natural decor (real driftwood/root system)
Diffuse current

I'll keep you posted with updates.

img_1478556_0_9d1c7f0fe69a2e3a60882640aa413080.jpg

A day's worth of work!
I only had time to go to a local petsmart, so I definitely don't have all the plants I want (no grasses yet boo!) but it's a start!
Current plants:
Wisteria
Moneywort
Java Fern (x1)
Mint Charlie
2 "betta bulbs" (pretty sure they're some type of aponogeton but who knows?)

I also added some dried oak "branches" for a bit of depth. I'm looking around in my house for some appropriately sized driftwood but I haven't found anything good yet.
It looks so much better now though! I love working on tanks hehe :>

Back
Top Bottom