Help me stock my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank but I'm not sure what to put in it. I like fish with intelligence and personality.

Ideally, I'd like an Oscar, but I know it would soon outgrow the tank. I've looked extensively at African Cichlids, but I don't feel equipped to deal with the aggression just yet. I've looked at fancy goldfish. I thought about doing an all livebearer tank, but I wasn't sure how to deal with all the breeding. I've looked at Amazon puffers but I can't find anywhere that sells them.

As you can see, I'm unsure but theres a pattern. I'm not looking for a community tank, I'm looking for a species specific (more or less) tank with fish that have personality.

Please add your own opinion on what fish you think I should look into! Also feel free to comment upon my previous ideas. Help much, much appreciated!! :)

single green terror with single bristlenose

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Technically a 55g is bare minimum for an Oscar. It's just not recommended because of keeping water quality and because of its width.

You could do a riverine tank with a bunch of loaches :) they are hilarious and interesting to watch especially in groups.

Dojo are my favorite though they are cold water. They are hilarious and active 24/7.

Kuhli are popular tropical ones.

These plenty of other ones as well.

Caleb

Angels do well, there is quite a bit of variety out there, and a couple bottom dwellers of your choice.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am battling with the same problem.
Goldfish was my first thought.
I've had an Oscar before, but, for some reason, I lost interest.
One member suggested silver dollars with cardinal tetras. That would look nice.
Like you, still searching.
If I hear anything more, I will pass it on.
Would you kindly do the same ?

Sonata, yes of course!

Everyone else, please don't hesitate to post any and all suggestions! I want to research as many types as possible to make sure I make the correct decision

Goldfish are very underated. My kids goldfish tank is becoming one of my favorites.

Have you looked at severum? They are brightly colored big and impressive but not much aggression.

I am leaning toward goldfish. I'm thinking 2 fancies & a bristlenose in my 50 gallon tank. Any comments ?

Not yet, but probably something similar to what you were thinking.

I keep changing my mind but coming back to the idea of 3 fancy's (black moor, ryukin (calcio), fantail, and a bn pleco. I figured if I can put 4-5 goldfish in there I can put 3 and a pleco! :)

I have a 55 gallon tank but I'm not sure what to put in it. I like fish with intelligence and personality.

Ideally, I'd like an Oscar, but I know it would soon outgrow the tank. I've looked extensively at African Cichlids, but I don't feel equipped to deal with the aggression just yet. I've looked at fancy goldfish. I thought about doing an all livebearer tank, but I wasn't sure how to deal with all the breeding. I've looked at Amazon puffers but I can't find anywhere that sells them.

As you can see, I'm unsure but theres a pattern. I'm not looking for a community tank, I'm looking for a species specific (more or less) tank with fish that have personality.

Please add your own opinion on what fish you think I should look into! Also feel free to comment upon my previous ideas. Help much, much appreciated!! :)
Try Discus fish, lots of personality!

50 years of aquariums is not new to the hobby. :)
I am new only to the site.
I have kept discus in the past. I enjoyed it, but don't want to do it again.
Caleb is right. It takes more time than I want to give just now.

Any thoughts on severum? I love my severum. I have two adults and a baby the size of a quarter and the baby is always at the front of the tank just watching me.

I always thought they stayed quite small.
I have had one & it was a dull, boring brown.
If I went with a 50 gallon community tank could they be part of it or would the severums bring it to capacity ?

No you could do a community with one.

Or keyhole cichlids. They are pretty and get semi big but are big babies! :D

Caleb

Not if you are new to the hobby. They take a lot of dedication and you cannot put off water changes.

Caleb
Yes you are right, but I have two in my tank and they are my first Discus and they are doing fine. As my experience grows I'm planning to do a larger tank with Discus and Angels soon. They are currently growing together in the same tank that is planted. My tank is small so I do water changes every 3 days and its working out well for now but its time to go bigger tank, planted, and about 75gals. So with that said I'm learning as much as I can to build this tank because it is a slow process and I have to plan my set up now and go for it.

Back
Top Bottom