Help me with my shopping list!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to buy a couple of fish today (and exchange some of mine) to try to thin out the inbreeding a bit, and would also like to get some sort of fish for CUC...

I'm thinking a corydora - thoughts??? Do they do a good job??

What size tank do you have? Whats the stock already?

Not really great for clean up apart from uneaten food on the bottom of the tank but not algeas. Theyre lovely little fish though with charater to boot. What do you want the clean up crew for, algea?

We can give you better advice if we know how big your tank is, how long it's been set up, what other fish do you have, what kind of substrate, planted or non-planted, etc. :)

Lol sorry should give more details - This will be for my 2ft tank - it's around 55-60ltrs. Current stock - 3 male endlers, 6 females Mystery snails - last count was 4 Fancy guppy male x 1 and 1 female I pulled 40+ fry out during my cleanup and they are in a growout tank. I am going to swap out some of the endlers for fancy guppies Tank has been set up for a looong time - I cannot give you an accurate time frame - I was given it and the fish - and have been slowly working at getting the water cleared up, which I now have successfully done!! (was green sludge) I'm interested in a Cory for leftover food cleanup :) I have scrubbed and scrubbed so there isn't much algae left in the tank now, but as I said it's been a work in progress.. What kinds of critters keep algae away?? At the moment I do not run heaters in my tanks due to the fact I live in a super hot climate and my tanks are steady at the 28 degree mark. We do have high ph tap water here that I treat accordingly, My ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels were all good last check a few days ago after my final big clean out and water change - (have been getting tested at LFS until my kit arrives) will be taking more to be tested today though, but should all be fine. :)
Edit to add - gravel & fake plants also - not ready for real plants YET :)

If you're having issues with algae it really is best to figure out what the source of the problem is (could be a number if things including tank being close to a window, or lights being left on too long). But nerite snails, bristle nose plecos (I would only get 1 in your size tank), or otocinclus catfish are all good algae eaters.

I'm doing my absolute best to do right by these fish & trying to get their health back to where it should be - truly I was appalled by the conditions they lived in :( it's been a great project for me and my 5 & 2 year old sons though!!

That's awesome:) what a great teaching and learning opportunity! I hope you and your sons enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom