Help/Mentoring with Aquascaping Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'll lead with this: I'm a newbie to scaping planted tanks. I have experience with planted tanks, but not with aquascaping. I've been doing some reading, but the wealth of information is overwhelming. I'm hoping for some help or mentoring in getting this project off the ground. I want it to look fantastic but don't really have the know how yet to execute it.
It's going to be low tech and low light, and the stock will be neocaridina shrimp and mystery snails.
Here are the specifics of the tank:
Tank: 20 Gallon Hexagon Tank (19L, 17W, 21H)
Filter: Fluval C3 Power Filter
Heater: Stock Heater
Lighting: Stock Lighting (LED lights)
Substrate: Fine, Smooth Gravel and Seachem Fluorite Dark
CO2: None
Ferts: API Root Tabs
I'm thinking of using a branching piece of spider wood as a centerpiece to look sort of like roots. Then I'll tie some java moss and java ferns and anubias to it (these plants I'm certain on).
Other proposed plants include:
Water Wisteria
Cryptocoryne
Hygrophila
Vallisneria
Buce?
Maybe swords?
Dwarf sag?
The last three I know very little about, so I'm not sure.
I'm wondering if I can get some help with good plants for my setup and placement of said plants. I really want to use the height of the tank. Since there will be no fish I don't need to leave swimming space, I just want tons of surfaces for my inverts to explore; moderately to densely planted would be my ideal. I thought of putting taller plants in the back and then having some smaller plants like crypts in the front. I'll attactch a photo of a scape that I like.
All help is very appreciated. I just want this to be awesome!

Scape is a 15 Gallon Column done by hitmanx from plantedtank.net.
https://flic.kr/p/x1krQ9

At the very least, can someone help me figure out which plants would work well in my tank? I've done tons of research but nothing beats the first hand experience members of this forum have to offer.

I'll give you the rundown in a couple hours--let me get some photos uploaded to Imgur for some examples. It looks you are trying to achieve something similar to what I have done. In the meantime, are you trying to have a low maintenance tank?

Crypts, Java Fern, Anubias, Buce, dwarf sag, all easy.

Guppy grass is easy but can take over.

That'd be great, fishenthusiast. Thank you so much. Low maintenance would be preferrable, but I don't mind doing some work on the tank to keep it looking nice.
I'll definitely check those plants out, TMaier. Do you think crypts would make good foreground plants? That's the only thing I can think of currently.

Okay, I'll have to give that a try. I've tried googling it and the threads were a mess. Mostly people trying in vain to find a good low light foreground plant while others recommended plants like wisteria :lol:

So I'll lead with this: I'm a newbie to scaping planted tanks. I have experience with planted tanks, but not with aquascaping. I've been doing some reading, but the wealth of information is overwhelming. I'm hoping for some help or mentoring in getting this project off the ground. I want it to look fantastic but don't really have the know how yet to execute it.

It's going to be low tech and low light, and the stock will be neocaridina shrimp and mystery snails.

Here are the specifics of the tank:

Tank: 20 Gallon Hexagon Tank (19L, 17W, 21H)

Filter: Fluval C3 Power Filter

Heater: Stock Heater

Lighting: Stock Lighting (LED lights)

Substrate: Fine, Smooth Gravel and Seachem Fluorite Dark

CO2: None

Ferts: API Root Tabs

I'm thinking of using a branching piece of spider wood as a centerpiece to look sort of like roots. Then I'll tie some java moss and java ferns and anubias to it (these plants I'm certain on).

Other proposed plants include:

Water Wisteria

Cryptocoryne

Hygrophila

Vallisneria

Buce?

Maybe swords?

Dwarf sag?

The last three I know very little about, so I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if I can get some help with good plants for my setup and placement of said plants. I really want to use the height of the tank. Since there will be no fish I don't need to leave swimming space, I just want tons of surfaces for my inverts to explore; moderately to densely planted would be my ideal. I thought of putting taller plants in the back and then having some smaller plants like crypts in the front. I'll attactch a photo of a scape that I like.

All help is very appreciated. I just want this to be awesome!

Scape is a 15 Gallon Column done by hitmanx from plantedtank.net.

https://flic.kr/p/x1krQ9

That'd be great, fishenthusiast. Thank you so much. Low maintenance would be preferrable, but I don't mind doing some work on the tank to keep it looking nice.
I'll definitely check those plants out, TMaier. Do you think crypts would make good foreground plants? That's the only thing I can think of currently.

Crypts make great foreground plants! I like Crypt parva and Crypt lucens. Marsilea sp. will also do well in low tech tanks. Expect slow growth with this tank. The plants that TMaier mentioned are great plants for tanks like this. Spider wood is a nice wood to use. It contains very few tannins and won't need to be soaked for long. The more hardscape, the better for low light, low tech tanks. Rhizome plants are the best, in my opinion; although, having some substrate plants will add contrast. With a tank this size, small Anubias (nana, petite nana, golden nana) and Bucephalandra will add a nice touch. Thinner-leafed Microsorum, in my opinion, looks better in smaller tanks than the larger, wider-leaves varieties. Needle Leaf, Narrow Leaf, and Threadleaf Java Fern are all good options. I do have some Ishikawa Island Java Fern that resembles regular Java Fern, but it is much smaller (I don't think it gets bigger than 7"). Bucephalandra is hardy, but expect some melt at first. It takes a long time to adjust, but as long as the rhizome is green, it'll come back. Patience! Crypts are great for contrast, and there are many varieties. The classic wendtii varieties are still a favorite of mine--check of Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko". It has a nice leaf color. Avoid Val with a tank this size. Even the smaller varieties get huge! It'd be better to get taller Crypts since their growth rate is easier to control. There are some swords that are small enough for this tank. Red Hadi Sword, Echinodorus parviflorus, and Echinodorus horizontalis "Mini" are good options. Personally, I think low light tanks look better without stem plants, but the ones you listed will do well if provided with some liquid fertilization. Since your invert stock has a low bioload, you may have to provide some liquid fertilization. Pressurized CO2 won't be needed.

Here's some example photos to maybe give you some ideas:

Echinodorus horizontalis "Mini" with some Marsilea and Bronze wendtii

dyDwIqm.jpg

Red Hadi Sword and Dwarf Sag

7YEgKMI.jpg

Echinodorus parviflorus

vfCZ32M.jpg

Assorted Buce, Anubias nana, and Needle Leaf Java Fern

e3Zc2qF.jpg

Anubias nana "petite"

vWCGpXM.jpg

Crypt parva and Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"

9CEkdjZ.jpg

The primary focus of my current scape is Needle Leaf Java Fern, scaped with manzanita driftwood (a similar effect can be achieved with spider wood)

prAF6SM.jpg

Ishikawa Island Java Fern (there are other dwarf varieties out there--check out Liquid Creations plant shop)

Z7Ny15T.jpg

Check of TMaier's scapes as well. She has some nice low light tanks. Tropica has some inspiration as well.

One of my crypts is 16" tall. Lol. Someday I'll find out what kind it is.IMG_1234.jpg

Last edited:
One of my crypts is 16" tall. Lol. Someday I'll find out what kind it is.View attachment 301785

That would be Crypt wendtii "Red". A classic Crypt that is one off the best for color contrast in low tech tanks. I mixed mine with some Crypt wendtii "Bronze" and I think it creates a nice effect.

For the OP, another nice Crypt that I didn't mention is Crypt nurii. I have some Crypt nurii "Rosen Maiden" that is starting to take off, and I really like its coloration.

Thank you both so much! I'll definitely look into all those plants. I think I might try some buce for the first time, as well. If you don't mind, I'll keep this thread updated with my progress. If you have any further feedback or tips feel free to share them, but again, I can't thank you enough for your help!
Currently I'm trying to decide between two pieces of spiderwood. As soon as I get that squared away, it's time to start scaping!

Attachments

• IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_6466.JPG
    IMG_6466.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 227
That's the one I've been leaning towards. I think I'll get that one and then work on attaching moss, anubias, Java fern and maybe some buce.

Driftwood should arrive at the end of the month. I can't wait! In the meantime, I need to find some plants to put on it. I'm thinking of using the java fern you sent me, @TMaier. It's been in my newly set up ten gallon and is doing well; I just love the way it looks!
In other news, my Amazon sword decided that sending out a runner and creating five new plantlets was a great idea. From the looks of it, there are more on the way. My 26 is pretty much full of plants and has no room for them, and they get too tall for my 10. Contemplating putting at least one or two in the 20 hexagon, then selling the rest. Yay or nay? Would the large leaves look tacky?
Definitely want to do some moss, too, but I can't figure out which kind! Java moss would be nice, but there are other beautiful low light compatible varieties... In your opinions, which moss would look best on spiderwood?

Ah, I see. I could live with leggy moss I guess, as long as the shrimp and snails like it.

Ah, I see. I'm hoping that won't happen with mine... but if it does I guess I'll just have to live with it for the sake of the baby shrimp LOL. I've heard moss is their absolute favorite to hide and forage in.

I just cleared out a ton of guppy grass this weekend. Here is a very full gallon size bag:
IMG_3431.jpg
Subwassertang in the right conditions will multiply. Both plants are not very demanding. I have both growing in my shrimp tanks.

Back
Top Bottom