Help missing fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help! So me and my girlfriend had placed what seemed to be a dwarf angel as what the worker at my lfs told us that the wouldn't get much bigger than a nickel so we trusted him. We placed him in our tank and saw him swim around for a week or so then all of a sudden we didn't see him and we know he didn't die unless one of our fish ate the body and we didn't notice. But we still still checked everything we check under all the decorations and we even sifted through the gravel and no sign of the body. If that's not bad we put a clown loach in our tank and not even a day later we went back to our tank he was no where to be found we thought again maybe it was our pleco that ate them and we took that out of the picture because we thought wouldn't the pleco have eaten his other tank mates too not just 2 of them? we repeated the cycle of checking the decorations and gravel but to our surprise no luck finding him. We even checked on line and saw neither fish are big on jumping out of their tanks considering the angel is a mid dweller and the loach was a bottom dweller. Has anyone experienced this type of occurrence? if so can someone tell us what caused our fish to just vanish out of no where? cause we even checked for the worst and looked on the floor and again no luck!:confused::bawl:

Help! So me and my girlfriend had placed what seemed to be a dwarf angel as what the worker at my lfs told us that the wouldn't get much bigger than a nickel so we trusted him. We placed him in our tank and saw him swim around for a week or so then all of a sudden we didn't see him and we know he didn't die unless one of our fish ate the body and we didn't notice. But we still still checked everything we check under all the decorations and we even sifted through the gravel and no sign of the body. If that's not bad we put a clown loach in our tank and not even a day later we went back to our tank he was no where to be found we thought again maybe it was our pleco that ate them and we took that out of the picture because we thought wouldn't the pleco have eaten his other tank mates too not just 2 of them? we repeated the cycle of checking the decorations and gravel but to our surprise no luck finding him. We even checked on line and saw neither fish are big on jumping out of their tanks considering the angel is a mid dweller and the loach was a bottom dweller. Has anyone experienced this type of occurrence? if so can someone tell us what caused our fish to just vanish out of no where? cause we even checked for the worst and looked on the floor and again no luck!:confused::bawl:

Just an idea but have you checked the filter? It's highly unlikely but seeing your story of vanishing fish who knows

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Just an idea but have you checked the filter? It's highly unlikely but seeing your story of vanishing fish who knows

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Yes we checked and we even took the filter apart to clean it and no fish in their at all:bawl:

I've had 3 fish jump out one I found in the filter the other 2 I found under the stand for the tank, but I needed a flashlight to see them so I would check all around the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had 3 fish jump out one I found in the filter the other 2 I found under the stand for the tank, but I needed a flashlight to see them so I would check all around the floor

We've checked all over the floor recently and no luck finding either of them. the only possible thing that i could think of is the pleco got to them. is that a plausible answer?

Yes it just seems weird because the pleco would have to be swimming above the angelfish. How big is the pleco?

What other fish are in the tank?

What other fish are in the tank?

1) the pleco is i believe 5-6 inches and i don't know if he has been hovering because my tank is at my girlfriends house and i'm only there 2-3 days a week.

2) Currently I have:

• 1 oto
  • 1 jumbo neon tetra
  • 1 small neon tetra
  • 1 clown pleco
  • 1 common pleco
  • 1 albino rainbow shark
  • 1 assasin snail
  • 1 mystery snail
  • 3 ghost shrimp (after they disappeard)
  • 3 tiger barbs
  • 1 neon blue dwarf gourami
  • 3 pygmy corydoras

Yes it just seems weird because the pleco would have to be swimming above the angelfish. How big is the pleco?

The clown pleco is only 3-4 inches and hasn't been growing much

The clown pleco is only 3-4 inches and hasn't been growing much

Clown pleco's only get to be tops 5 inches. I used to have one.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Clown pleco's only get to be tops 5 inches. I used to have one.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

So what's your take on the missing fish do you think either pleco is the culprit?

So what's your take on the missing fish do you think either pleco is the culprit?

Pleco's are bottom feeders. I would highly doubt they would even attempt to eat your fish even if they are dead.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

How big is the rainbow shark?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I don't think any of the other fish would have been able to kill them so maybe one of the plecos caught them

How big is the tank? If it's smaller than a 50 gallon and the rainbow shark is of decent size, my best guess is they wandered into his territory. I've read stories of people's nightmares with them and the territorial issues. I had a regular one and he was very docile and nice to the other fish, but my castle centerpiece was his and no other fish would go in it.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

I don't think any of the other fish would have been able to kill them so maybe one of the plecos caught them

I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen a hostile pleco. Like physically attack another fish.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

How big is the tank? If it's smaller than a 50 gallon and the rainbow shark is of decent size, my best guess is they wandered into his territory. I've read stories of people's nightmares with them and the territorial issues. I had a regular one and he was very docile and nice to the other fish, but my castle centerpiece was his and no other fish would go in it.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

The rainbow shark is 3.5 inches max and the tank is a temporary home for the shark its a 20 gallon

My money is on the shark if nothing else. They can be very territorial especially in a tank that small.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever seen a hostile pleco. Like physically attack another fish.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

No they are like catfish normally peaceful, whatever fits in their mouth they will eat

My money is on the shark if nothing else. They can be very territorial especially in a tank that small.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

No they are like catfish normally peaceful, whatever fits in their mouth they will eat

would there have been any remains left over of these fish they ate because i can't even find any remains of the fishes that are gone?

Back
Top Bottom