Help! My ammonia level keeps spiking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-T-T

Aquarium Advice Regular
The last few days I have had to do 50% pwc to keep my ammonia in check!! The highest I have seen it is .50ppm. Am on a regular routine now to check the water nightly and everyday it keeps jumping back up from the previous water change. Anyone have any ideas. The rest of my tests are perfect. ( my ph runs at about 7.6 but has been like that since I upgraded from 5g to 10g.)
Currently have a tetra 10g glass aquarium. Currently have 4 neon tetras, 1 barb and a common pleco. (Recently lost a neon and a barb due to the Ich they brought home from the lfs.) ( I am upgrading this summer to a larger tank to accommodate the baby pleco we just got).
Any suggestions?

Donkey Gun said:
To start off, how long has this tank been running?

Has it been cycled?

5g we had for about 2 1/2yrs just switched to the 10g 2 weeks ago using the same filter media from the 5g hoping it would do a mini cycle. Could it not have cycled and now that is what it is doing?

Mini cycle is what it sounds like to me.

Have you added any new fish since upgrading to the 10?

I would just stay on top of the pwc's and keep testing like your doing. By the way, what test kit are you using?

Donkey Gun said:
Mini cycle is what it sounds like to me.

Have you added any new fish since upgrading to the 10?

I would just stay on top of the pwc's and keep testing like your doing. By the way, what test kit are you using?

API master

Mumma.of.two said:
Sounds like a mini cycle from the move. Did the filter stay wet during the upgrade? Did you remember dechlorinator?

Yes to both

Update:
Setting up for a pwc.
Ammonia only hit up to .25 today (instead of the jump back up to .50)
Nitrite @ 0
Nitrates went to 5.0
Should I be doing more than 50% pwc when I am doing the pwc. I don't want to stress the fish anymore than possible?!

Back
Top Bottom