HELP! My new dinosaur bichir wont eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shariq519

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive just bought a dinosaur bichir about 2 days ago approx. 2" but it wont eat anything. i changed the water 2 days before i bought it. i have a severum cichlid roughly palm size in the tank and thats all and 4 live plants if thats relevant. but it wont eat! ive tried mini cichlid pellets and blood worms but nothing. i fed him during the day whilst the lights were on if thats relevant, as ive read theyre nocturnal fish. any thoughts or suggestions?

shariq519 said:
ive just bought a dinosaur bichir about 2 days ago approx. 2" but it wont eat anything. i changed the water 2 days before i bought it. i have a severum cichlid roughly palm size in the tank and thats all and 4 live plants if thats relevant. but it wont eat! ive tried mini cichlid pellets and blood worms but nothing. i fed him during the day whilst the lights were on if thats relevant, as ive read theyre nocturnal fish. any thoughts or suggestions?

Mine eats sinking shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, frozen guppies, and market shrimp. Try any of these and I'm sure he will eat. Make sure its not freeze dried or floating. If it doesn't get to the bottom it won't be eaten.

they have poor sense of sight so they have to bump into the smell to get it try garlic in the food to bring it to smell might help you out there never had a problem making 1 of those eat before good luck

Just out of curiousity are the dinosaurs aggessive? I have seen them before and always liked them but I always assumed they would trying to eat my other fish. Any thoughts?

Wiggles24 said:
Just out of curiousity are the dinosaurs aggessive? I have seen them before and always liked them but I always assumed they would trying to eat my other fish. Any thoughts?

Stick a frozen bloodworm or beefheart in there at night he will find it. They are nocturnal and most of their activity is at night. The beefhearts good because bichirs need high fat diets but it does fowl your water up so I suggest netting the remnants out when you get up. Youl know if he eats at night by the cube since it stays in tact until grabbed and shaken by the bichirs.

Also yes they are aggressive towards small fish like guppies and smaller tetras. What kind of fish do you have. I have 3 happy 5" senegal bichirs with a 9" oscar in a 125 right now. They are awesome.

Hikari sinking carnivore pellets is what I feed my small delhezi bichir. But I break the pellet in half to make it easier to swallow.

The Senegal bichir I used to have loved anything meat-related. I would feed it shreds of rinsed cooked chicken, beef, and pork. Unfortunately he also liked his tank mates...

The polypterus Delhezi I have now has grown like a weed eating a steady diet of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes, and the occasional earthworm. This one has not had any of his tank mates for dinner and seems to be far more gentle than the grey bichir.

I stopped feeding the meats after the other one became sick. That definitely messed up the water and eventually (I honestly did not know anything about testing the water and keeping it up properly, which I do religiously now).

clearancepuppy said:
The Senegal bichir I used to have loved anything meat-related. I would feed it shreds of rinsed cooked chicken, beef, and pork. Unfortunately he also liked his tank mates...

The polypterus Delhezi I have now has grown like a weed eating a steady diet of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes, and the occasional earthworm. This one has not had any of his tank mates for dinner and seems to be far more gentle than the grey bichir.

I stopped feeding the meats after the other one became sick. That definitely messed up the water and eventually (I honestly did not know anything about testing the water and keeping it up properly, which I do religiously now).

Oh yeah mine loves small earthworms!

Stuff that sinks, I would suggest some frozen brine shrimp my fish love em and most do

Back
Top Bottom