Help! My poor dwarf gourami!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh no!
A while back I wrote about our dwarf gourami and how he sometimes gets so excited he jumps up when I feed them. Tonight he did it and landed HARD on one of kiddo's plastic toy. We put him the tank but he's not well. Breathing but not swimming. Oh, I am so sad. This was one of our favorites... :(

Okay. Whew! (for now). He knocked himself dizzy, I think, but he appears to have recovered. He went from not swimming to moving around normally in about five minutes. I'll keep an eye over the next few days but at least it's looking better. :)

Okay. Whew! (for now). He knocked himself dizzy, I think, but he appears to have recovered. He went from not swimming to moving around normally in about five minutes. I'll keep an eye over the next few days but at least it's looking better. :)

One of my Angelicus botias jumped out even though he had to do some kind of acrobatic move because at the time there was only a space for the hob filters. I wonder if he swam up the hob stream like a ramp. Anyway, it is over a five foot fall to the hard floor. I only noticed him because my dogs were congregating around him. I immediately picked him up (he was dried out) and put him back in. He acted sick for a few hours, but eventually shook it off. He has been fine for several weeks now. Hopefully your dwarf gourami will do the same. I have a dwarf gourami also. They are awesome.

Thanks for that. I am noticing now there are some buoyancy issues so I am hoping *hoping* they'll straighten out.
Is there such a thing as a concussed fish?
Kinda joking about that, but also kinda not...

It is absolutely amazing to me how a 2" fish can survive such a fall. I mean, that's equivalent to a human jumping off a high-rise and then the following day walking on the sidewalk he landed on the previous day.

Who are we to think that fish are not hardy? By the way, how's the fish doing?

David

It is absolutely amazing to me how a 2" fish can survive such a fall. I mean, that's equivalent to a human jumping off a high-rise and then the following day walking on the sidewalk he landed on the previous day.

Who are we to think that fish are not hardy? By the way, how's the fish doing?

David

I know. It's amazing! He's looking good today.
I was being half funny when I brought up the concussion but the reason I did bring it up is because I am in recovery from a brain injury suffered in 2011 and still have symptoms and my fall would have been nowhere near the height of this, if taken in relative terms. So, yes, they are incredibly resilient, these little fish we share our lives with.

Back
Top Bottom