HELP! My shrimp molted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
He went to the top of the tank, so I thought he was hungry, so I threw in some flakes and pop! That is freaky!

I hope they don't eat him!! He is hanging upside down from the return.

Here's his skin:

img_637650_0_7a59b027d3b28cab625352d1bc5ebf41.jpg

and here he is now:

img_637650_1_4fdba061c648d6289fe96d857667edaa.jpg

Cool, Is he bigger now that he's molted?? The frog will just get extra calcium from eating the skin. I don't think it will hurt him. Your shrimp looks great!!

By the way do you know if there are Brackish shrimp. I was thinking about getting one for my tank to clean scraps and algea n stuff.

I know nothing about Brackish anything, sorry.

He doesn't look bigger. A tad skinnier because the shell is gone.

I woke up this morning terrified because I couldn't find the shrimp. :shocked!: He was there, he had traveled to the other side of the tank and was sitting in the plants.

He should make it. He lived in the tank all this time and might have even molted more than once already. Maybe last time you just didn't recognize it.

But he'll be fine. Shrimp are pretty fast too and they can hide perfectly.

They will naturally hide for a few days after molting, because this is when they are most susceptible to predators. Look for him to be back with color and more active in a few days time.

OceanMaiden, ghost shrimp have been known to tolerate brackish, but you will have to acclimate them to those conditions if you buy them in freshwater. Look into olive nerite snail. A good brackish snail and detrivore.

Would a marine shrimp survive in brackish if acclimated to it first Devlishturtles?? Hmmm I would really like to own a shrimp they r cool to watch when they r eating. Maybe I can just get one for the 5 gall beta tank. Would it be ok with a beta?? I'll probably try to get those poo eating snails too for the 29 gal brackish. My preggers platys are sooo messy.

No, OM. To my knowledge, you can make some fw fish live in brackish (or full marine) conditions, but not reverse that. You have a 5 gallon betta tank? Add some ghost shrimp to that. The betta *may* eat them, but not always.

i had 3 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon and one of them molted (i found the skin) and i never saw that shrimp again. this was at least a few weeks ago, but i have no idea what happened to it. but one of my other ones molted recently (i found the skin yesterday) and it's doing just fine.

pretty crazy though...just makes me wonder what happened to my one that disappeared

I had 4 ghost shrimp (3 females, 1 male) live for almost 2 years and get to be about 4 inches long. 3 died of old age, the other female died from a fight with a paradise gourami. I have had no luck with ghost shrimp in a betta tank. My betta always eats them though he totally ignores snails.

welp, this is kind of funny. i walked in to find my ghost shrimp that just molted getting eaten by the other ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon today.

ah well

The thing has not fear. He is bright red and he sat on the black tube. There was no missing him. You know I hear they will stab their enemies if messed with. I'm wondering if that is what happened to my barb.

Now that I've vacuumed his shell out of the tank, there is no way the frog swallowed any of that. It's pretty tough.

Back
Top Bottom