Help, need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have an Aqueon submersible heater on my 75gal. It's a pretty good heater if I do say so myself. I have this 200 watt heater (suitable for my 75gal) in my sump. Question is will it be working better if it were in my actual tank? Last night before I added 12 black none tetras to my discus tank the temp was 83 * right now that I woke up to feed my fish the temp was at 78*-79* don't want any fluctuations like that that may affect my discus. Or should I just set it a bit higher now that the climate temps have gone down?

When I had reef tanks I always kept my heater in the sump and never had problems. Did you currently move the heater or has it always been in the sump keeping the temp at 83?
Sometimes heaters do go bad. Are you getting fluxuating temps all the time or is it just at night? If your worried you can always add another heater to the tank. Run both if the sump heater is indeed working properly. Then you can be assured you temp should remain constant and you have the added security of having a backup heater already running if one heater was to kick the bucket.

No the thermometer has always been in the sump. I guessing it went down just evade it was a cold night. Thermometer fairly new about 4mo old. I am thinking of the 2nd one just to keep it constant

For a 75 gallon you should be running 300 watts for your heater so I'd get another. With me I run two in the winter and turn one off in the summer. I keep one in the sump and the one I add in the winter I put in the tank. With me my sump runs warmer than the tank because of the return pump so I have mine cranked up into the 80s depending on the room temps

Andrew McFadden said:
For a 75 gallon you should be running 300 watts for your heater so I'd get another. With me I run two in the winter and turn one off in the summer. I keep one in the sump and the one I add in the winter I put in the tank. With me my sump runs warmer than the tank because of the return pump so I have mine cranked up into the 80s depending on the room temps

Ah I see. I will do the same. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom