HELP, need to know what kind of fish.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have gotten fish from a few LFS and unfortunately most have been labeled with the wrong names. I had a woman who has been very helpful in identifying and telling me correct names along with information on the fish i have. I hate to bother her but have a couple that I am still in question about. to top it off i think one may be pregnant, she doesn't look sick and under her belly is darker ( i assume her eggs).. I am not prepared for a bunch more of these fellows, but will take what has been given to me happily.
1st one i know its a glofish - unsure of the breed or if thats just what it is
in the same picture you see a florescent color fish. it was labeled as a neon tetra. when i google neon tetra this is not what i see.
2nd is it looks like zebra danio but if you look close both are blue but the other colors in them are different, one has a grayish color and the other has a yellow/lime green...
i have been into this hobby since May and to this point i am amazed at how much inaccurate information i get from the fish stores, the fish are labeled wrong, they had told me i can add more aggressive fish with my peaceful fish, even was given a CAE, and my tank houses tetras and guppies.. so any help is welcome and appreciated. thank you.

Attachments

• glofish and neon.jpg
    glofish and neon.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 220
  • zebra danios albino tetra.jpg
    zebra danios albino tetra.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 195
The yellow one is a tetra (kind of like the skirt tetras) and you have a couple glofish danios. The ones with stripes are zebra. I can see the white fish too well.

Sent from my iPhone

That white fish could actually be a glo lite tetra (white with orange neon stripe) but I can't see too clearly. Who do you think is the pregnant one? Those are all egg layers I believe.

Sent from my iPhone

That white fish could actually be a glo lite tetra (white with orange neon stripe) but I can't see too clearly. Who do you think is the pregnant one? Those are all egg layers I believe.

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with what Emily said and yes they all are egglayers

the lime green is a glo fish, the white one is a white skirt tetra. I was trying to figure out if the blue w/ yellow is a zebra danio or the same as the hot neon pink one behind the glo light. sorry the pictures are not that great but they have been very active. yes they are all egg layers. i suppose i was not clear.. what i was looking for is the proper name for the blue/yellow and the neon striped ones, idk if they are danios and if so what is the name. i tried to google it but have had no luck... i hope i was a bit more clear this time, i apologize.

The hot neon pink one does too?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I though but when I googled it that's not what I saw. Weird right.

You need to understand that the glo fish are not natural so looking them up by the names they are given in a store can be misleading. For example, the original glowfish is a genetically engineered Zebra Danio. You would have to look up Zebra Danio to get a better understanding of what the fish needs. The same with your top Tetra. It's a genetically engineered version of a fish that was bred to lose all it's natural colors so that it could show the glow & berry colors. Your fish in the top pic is the same as a Black Skirt Tetra. None of the subsequent fish from that are natural or going to be listed in many books or forums.

Hope this helps.

From what I can tell ...

Photo 1 has ...
- Glo Fish that is a yellow mutation of a White Skirt Tetra
- Glo Fish that is a pink mutation of a Zebra Danio
- Glowlight Neon Tetra, the whitish/clearish fish with an orange stripe
- Regular zebra danio

Photo 2 has ...
- Glowlight Neon Tetras
- Regular Zebra Danios

Someone may have already explained ... "Glo Fish" is a brand, not a fish name. Glo Fish are fish (usually Danios, or Skirt Tetras) injected with jellyfish DNA so they are neon colored. So you can have a "Glo Fish Tetra" and a "Glo Fish Danio" that are Fluorescent colors that react under a black light.

So you've got a few non genetically altered zebra danios, and a "Glo Fish" brand pink zebra danio.

And you have a "Glo Fish" brand yellow-modified tetra.

And you have good old Glowlight Neon Tetras, which are not genetically modified, and are not fluorescent colored. They're pretty normal looking fish with a stripe that looks like an orange neon sign.

Glowlight neon ... totally different from Glo Fish.

And the yellow glo fish, and the glow light neon with the orange stripe ... They're both of the Tetra species, but very different types of tetras. That's why you have multiple tetras but only one the shape of the yellow fish.

Confused yet? LOL.

Actually I'm not. The neon small fish are zebra danios that are injected when they are eggs. The painted or fruit fish is actually a white shirt tetra, the striped ones one of you referred to is black skirt tetra, and finally the lime green/yellow glo fish is also a tetra but we are not sure which kind. Right??? I've been reading and learning allot. Most people here are also very helpful and have correct information along with helpful hints and tips.

Glo-fish are not a breed, but different types that have been genetically altered to be fluorescent.
you have a Glo-fish that was/is a skirt tetra as mentioned above.
you have Glo-fish danios and normal zebra danios.

Plus I think danios and skirt tetras are the most commonly used fish for "glo-fish"

Personally, while they may look cool, I am not a fan of glo-fish, but they are a big improvement over the "painted" tetras the used to sell eons ago. Those were not genetically altered, instead they would inject dye into the fish's back.
you remember those, Andy?

Actually I'm not. The neon small fish are zebra danios that are injected when they are eggs. The painted or fruit fish is actually a white shirt tetra, the striped ones one of you referred to is black skirt tetra, and finally the lime green/yellow glo fish is also a tetra but we are not sure which kind. Right??? I've been reading and learning allot. Most people here are also very helpful and have correct information along with helpful hints and tips.

Actually, they aren't all injected as eggs. Glo Fish were used in a science expirement, and now are sold under a copyright. They can usually breed like regular danios or tetras, and will have fluorescent offspring. Sadly, if you get kids, you can't sell them because Tetra has a copyright on them.
I may be wrong on this, but im pretty sure I'm right.

It's even illegal to own them in California. Shhhh. Don't tell the law.... I accidentally bought one a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone

You're getting close!

The zebra danios are torpedo shaped and have stripes. The pink one is a Glo Fish zebra danio.

The yellow is a Glo fish variation of a black or white skirt Tetra. There are lots of colors of skirt tetras, I forget which they use for glo fish. You don't have a normal colored skirt tetra, black or white.

The little fish with the neon orange stripe is actually a completely normal thing, called a glowlight neon tetra, like in this photo. They occur naturally this way.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406992191.044556.jpg

They don't paint or inject dye anymore, I think the inject jellyfish DNA into the fish egg as they were saying. And yeah they are patented so only Tetra (the company not the fish, which has no relation to the tetra fish) can sell them. I think it started as an experiment into making fish that glow in polluted water. They tend to be more delicate than their unmodified counterparts.

As far as their care ... The danios would be happiest if you hAve six total, you can mix plain zebra and glo colors.

The skirt tetra that's is yellow would be happier if you have 3, more is better, and you can mix glo and unmodified.

The glowlight neon tetras like buddies too, mine hide less when there are six.

I have danios, glowlight neon tetras, and skirt tetras in a tank together. I feed them all new life spectrum Thera a 5mm pellets.

You're doing a good thing trying so hard to learn all about your fish!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thank you!!! I appreciate the help and the way you explained the color and what they would be listed under for when I'm reading or researching something. I guess I'm doing ok with how I have schooled them. Well I only have the 1 glo skirted tetra, but should add more if I follow you correctly. Although with the differant colored tetras I have about 9. The danios and neons I have 6 -8 so they are schooled right.

Like other posters said, the pale fish are Glowlight Tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) which are naturally this color. They are not a neon tetra, but will often school with them. Nice little gentle fish, happiest with at least six of their own kind. To show their colors best, they need to be happy (thus a school) and the tank not overly bright. I keep them in a planted tank. Here is what they look like when they are shown to their best. I just love them.

Attachments

• glowlight tetra.jpg
    glowlight tetra.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 206
i dont have any like this one. the only pale ones i have are the albino tetra and the larger i have painted which you cant see now, and the xray. the one you have shown is very pretty though.

Back
Top Bottom