Help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatfieldlock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 3 year well established 100 gallon tank has gone crazy! Parameters have been fine {AM =0. Nitrite=0, Nitrate=20 PH=8.5 {always been high}} The only thing that changed was I added several fish (very small) as to not crowd anyone before adding more. I had a couple goldfish in the tank just to keep the eco system going while I decided what I was going to stock my tank with. I bought 20 neon tetras, 10 Micky mouse mollies. 2 small spotted Plecos.2 glow fish. 8 glass fish. I already had 4 tiger barbs, 20 olive snails and the two gold fish. I removed the goldfish and brought them back to the local fish store (LFS) after I realized that I couldn't get food to my bottom fish before the goldpigs ate everything. About 3 days later I started noticing the water clouding up. I did 3 50% water changes in a span of 5 days. It got worse! Parameters still spot on.....In order to settle the food for the bottom feeders, I turned my hanging filter to low and shut off my canister. I realized the next day that I forgot to turn the canister back on that night (I may have starved my beneficial bacteria of oxygen in the canister) My research shows that it should bounce back within a few days of re-establishing itself. This is not the case. Now my water is cloudier than ever and is turning green. I starved the tank of all light for 4 days and still nothing good, I have no idea where this algae "bloom?" is coming from. I have had aquariums for the last 25 years and this has stumped me. Please help me! The LFS knows nothing compared to what I already know granted I am in a tiny town in AL and am lucky to even have a LFS.....So here's my sad picture....

For green water I have found nothing works better than a uv sterilizer. Very affordable ones can be found online. I believe the one I purchased for my green water was a sunsun brand. You don't need the expensive ones that will kill bacteria or parasites, one for algae will be fine.

For green water I have found nothing works better than a uv sterilizer. Very affordable ones can be found online. I believe the one I purchased for my green water was a sunsun brand. You don't need the expensive ones that will kill bacteria or parasites, one for algae will be fine.
What Mebbid said. +1
Install a uv filter and enjoy crystal clear water.

Back
Top Bottom