Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help? No water

I'm having a bit of a crisis today. I started in on water changes, got 2 tanks emptied about 40%. Went to start refilling and NO WATER! Crap! Of course it was over the lunch hour so no one was at the village hall. I just got through to them and the dang state busted our main while they were doing road work a few miles from here. Double crap! So, who knows when we'll have water again. "Should be before dark" according to the lady at the village hall. But once we do have water, we'll be under a boil water order. Soo now what the heck do I do? Buy drinking water to refill the tanks and change the kH/gH/pH most likely? Get some water from my in-laws (again with different params)? Put in boiled water? Use tap water during the boil water order? Wait it out? The filters are still running, heaters are submerged so no immediate danger to the biofilter. Crap. I just wanted to do my water changes

Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would either purchase water or use it from your in-laws. Your in-laws water should not be that much different from yours unless you are driving quite a distance to get it.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Ditto what FishyFanatic said.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
I would either purchase water or use it from your in-laws. Your in-laws water should not be that much different from yours unless you are driving quite a distance to get it.
Thier water comes from the same resevior, but a different company treats it so the kH/gH/pH are different, but not drastically so. We live about 10 miles from them, but in a different town.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go for it - maybe if you added it back slowly that would help - sort of like a long drawn out acclimation process
I can only imagine what you're going through ! Talk about bad timing ... hopefully it all works out soon ... keep us posted
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldn't have a problem. Just add jugs of water to the tank at a slow pace. Don't dump it all in at once. Have you tried testing their levels?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com