Help on water change!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Money

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm in the middle of a water change and my water temp from my sink won't go any lower than 83°F. Is there anything I can do to lower this temperature so I can put water back into my tank? I've tried letting a run for a while. It's not going down at all.

83 F from the cold water faucet? That is toasty. You could just leave the water out and let it drop to room temp. Might take a while though.

83 F from the cold water faucet? That is toasty. You could just leave the water out and let it drop to room temp. Might take a while though.
I thought about that but I have about 60 gallons I need to put into the tank. I think I'm just gonna wait until it cools down outside. Maybe the water will get cooler

Do you have any large soda bottles or gallon jugs? You could freeze water in them and then let the water run over them to cool down, or stick them in the bucket with the water. No matter what you'll have to wait at least a little, depending on how much cooler you need them. I'd check your water heater too, you may have a serious issue with it

You could also try ice cubes until you reach the desired temperature. As Toad said, you might want to check out the water heater and see if there’s an issue. Seems pretty warm

how are you doing this water change? filling a bucket then adding it to the tank or using something like a python system or diy python system?

how are you doing this water change? filling a bucket then adding it to the tank or using something like a python system or diy python system?
I use a python system. I was told my pipes were buried too shallow and the temperature outside was affecting my cold water. I was able to get a decent temp by waiting until nightfall

What temp. Do you keep your tank set at ?
Yesterday I transferred several fish from my 82 degrees, QT tank to my 78 degrees, display tank. Transferring fish from warmer to noticably cooler water is not a good idea. Prior to the transfer, I did a big WC on the display tank, adding warmer water, which elevated the temp to 82 degrees. The fish, which include Hardy Tetras, Cichlids, Loaches & Plecos were not adversely affected by the 4 degree increase in temp.
You've got to keep rapid temp increases within reason, but say your tank is set at 78 degrees, a 50% WC w/83 degrees new water will only bump the temp up 2 or 3 degrees. No big deal unless you are breeding delicate species.

What temp. Do you keep your tank set at ?
Yesterday I transferred several fish from my 82 degrees, QT tank to my 78 degrees, display tank. Transferring fish from warmer to noticably cooler water is not a good idea. Prior to the transfer, I did a big WC on the display tank, adding warmer water, which elevated the temp to 82 degrees. The fish, which include Hardy Tetras, Cichlids, Loaches & Plecos were not adversely affected by the 4 degree increase in temp.
You've got to keep rapid temp increases within reason, but say your tank is set at 78 degrees, a 50% WC w/83 degrees new water will only bump the temp up 2 or 3 degrees. No big deal unless you are breeding delicate species.
I usually keep it around 79 degrees. The water I added was about 81 which didn't seem to make much of a difference

Back
Top Bottom