Help Picking a Centerpiece Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I have a 29 gallon with 1 bristlenose pleco, 4 harlequin rasboras, 4 neon tetras, and two kuhli loaches. I'm thinking of upping both the rasbora and tetra schools to 6, but I also kind of want a bigger centerpiece fish.

Could I get an angel or a gourami without being overstocked? I do weekly water changes and my water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.6
Temp: around 80 degrees

Search aqadvisor in google and check that website to see if you are overstocked or not.

I am not a big fan of AqAdvisor. I don't it is all that accurate.
First off, you should probably have a few nitrates unless your tank is very heavily planted, But, with light stock, I am sure you will not have too much.
Yes, a gourami will be fine (assuming you pick an appropriately sized one). Something to look at would be the paradise gourami. They are a bit less common, but come in amazing colors. :)
Fwiw, I would also add more kuhlis. In my experience, they really do better in ar large of groups as possible. they have a pretty small bioload, so you can easily afford to add some more for more like 6. you will generally see them more and they will be more at ease in larger groups.

So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 :ermm:. I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!

So I looked at the AqAdvisor site and I have to agree, I am skeptical about it's accuracy. I think I'll go to my lfs this weekend and look at gouramis, hopefully they have some pretty ones in stock!

I honestly don't have a nitrate test, so I didn't include that stat....but I'm sure I'm around 40 :ermm:. I do have some plants and driftwood so I think I'm alright there. Don't judge me!

Also, I will definitely look at getting more Khulis, I love them!

Well... it would have helped if I had not read "nitrate" when you clearly wrote "nitrite." So, that was my bad. I apologize. :)
If you are curious about your nitrates, you can always take in a sample to any place that does free testing (most fish stores do). But, I doubt your nitrates are very high since you are currently lightly stocked and are doing consistent pwc. :)
Another very cool gourami is the pearl gourami. I also like the opaline quite a bit. Starting by looking at what is available locally is a great idea. Keep us updated on what you find!

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Just use your head if you think AqAdvisor is wrong... It's only a software.

I prefer this than asking guys at the LFS, they're noobs/seller usually.

Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.

Agreed... AqAdvisor is a great first stab at building out a stocking list, which can be tempered by further research and experience.

Dwarf Gourami are very colorful and shouldn't overload your bioload much, but you should have room for a Pearl or Opaline if you prefer since you're doing weekly water changes. A betta would do fine instead if you wanted. Or you could go with a pair of Rams or Apistos since you've got the tank warm enough.

Angels can be aggressive toward Harlequins and Neons, so I'd avoid that. Sometimes it works, but depending on the fish personality as it matures, it may decide the bright little Neon eyes are a tasty snack.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a betta in a smaller tank but he's a butt head...tries to fight everyone lol.

Hi Artist,
Claire is now in my daughter's 75g. She lives about 30 miles from me. I visit her about every other week. She is queen of the tank and my daughter's baby. She's healthy and doing great. Oh, she's about 4.5" long now. Gorgeous. OS.

So I ended up getting a baby angelfish. He is pretty slow and relaxed and the tetras are fast and have a lot of hiding places so I think it will be ok. I used to have an angel in this tank (then he got ich) so I have a soft spot for them. Ill let you know how it goes!

So I ended up getting a baby angelfish. He is pretty slow and relaxed and the tetras are fast and have a lot of hiding places so I think it will be ok. I used to have an angel in this tank (then he got ich) so I have a soft spot for them. Ill let you know how it goes!

Sounds good! I definitely have a soft spot for angels as well. Get some pictures if you can. ☺

Sooo just to update everyone, the angel ended up being really aggressive toward my pleco of all things. Didn't even notice the neons. Tore up the pleco's fins pretty badly so I had to return the angel. I felt terrible returning him, but I think I'll try to get a gourami once the pleco heals up :(

So sorry for the Angel experience. Angels seem to be so unique in personalities. I have one black marble angel that is the sweetest. She gets along well with everyone, me and her tankmates. OS.

So sorry for the Angel experience. Angels seem to be so unique in personalities. I have one black marble angel that is the sweetest. She gets along well with everyone, me and her tankmates. OS.

So true! I had a black angel who was super sweet and that's why I wanted a second one! Turns out they're not all the same. Also, "bona fide member of the wet arm society" is the best signature ever! haha love it.

I'd go for (in fact I have got) a pearl gourami as the centre piece fish.

Back
Top Bottom