help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New said:
would 3-5 silver dollars fit in a 55?

I would only have 3 but yea they did great in my 55. I had them with 8 tiger barbs, a clown pleco and a clown loach. One of my silver dollars was by himself for the longest time (came with the tank) he quite big when I shut down the tank. He also was much less shy once I added the other 2 silver dollars.

so is there room for some other type of schooler? im going for sure w/ long finned serpae tetras, and bleeding heart tetras, thinking 3 silver dollars also. i'm looking to get some color in there so maybe neons?

New said:
so is there room for some other type of schooler? im going for sure w/ long finned serpae tetras, and bleeding heart tetras, thinking 3 silver dollars also. i'm looking to get some color in there so maybe neons?

Neons, cardinals, glowlights, or even congo tetras would look really great :)

If u go with Neons I would put like 8-10 in first (not all at once) and then add three silver dollars. Give the neons a chance to grow a bit and have lots of hiding spots because the silver dollars might eat them.

If u go with Neons I would put like 8-10 in first (not all at once) and then add three silver dollars. Give the neons a chance to grow a bit and have lots of hiding spots because the silver dollars might eat them.

:eek: i don't want to get fish that will just end up being snacks though :/

New said:
:eek: i don't want to get fish that will just end up being snacks though :/

Well big fish eat little fish ;). My tiger barbs ate all my neons (never did that again). I think if you have a big enough school they'll be fine. Silver dollars are not aggressive but ya never know :)

i don't wana take any chances :p are there any other colorful small schooling fish?

I like tiger barbs, cherry barbs (they are smaller but are a beautiful pink color) or u could go with a bigger tetra. Diamond tetras are so pretty, however are the same color as silver dollars. I can only speak from the experience with the fish I've had. I've never had some of the other fish people have mentioned (like blue rams, any type of guppy or Molly...). Sorry of that's not much help :)

I like tiger barbs, cherry barbs (they are smaller but are a beautiful pink color) or u could go with a bigger tetra. Diamond tetras are so pretty, however are the same color as silver dollars. I can only speak from the experience with the fish I've had. I've never had some of the other fish people have mentioned (like blue rams, any type of guppy or Molly...). Sorry of that's not much help :)

haha, you were helpful, would silver dollars be able to eat cherry barbs? are the small enough?

IMO no because cherry barbs are a very lively fast moving fish. If you had a couple males (brighter in color) and like 6 females, they would stick together. I have 1 male and 2 females and love them :)

Back
Top Bottom