Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a jack demsey a tilopia. They never bothered each other and are good fish and 3 days ago i inteoduced a rather large red devil. About 8 inches and now the jack demsey is chasing my tliopia and stressing him out causeing his colors to change. And there are some scars on him. The red devil just swims around and dosent bother anyone and dosent get bothered but this started the day i inteoduced him. What options do i have besides getting rid of my jack demsey. And i also have a 3 inch clown knife that i just got but he wont eat anything.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

125 gallon. Tilopia 7 inches
Jack demsey 6 inches
Ammonia .15 ish
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Ph 7.7
Temp 79 degrees

I'm not an expert on cichlid behavior and stuff. It maybe that the red devil has taken over a portion of the JDs territory and that's why he's chasing the other fish. You could try to rearrange a few things or the layout of the tank and let them establish new territories. I'm no sure. Hopefully someone else can jump in here

I have a jack demsey a tilopia. They never bothered each other and are good fish and 3 days ago i inteoduced a rather large red devil. About 8 inches and now the jack demsey is chasing my tliopia and stressing him out causeing his colors to change. And there are some scars on him. The red devil just swims around and dosent bother anyone and dosent get bothered but this started the day i inteoduced him. What options do i have besides getting rid of my jack demsey. And i also have a 3 inch clown knife that i just got but he wont eat anything.

How long have the JD and tilapia been in the tank? The JD was probably the dominant one, they both had their territories, and as was mentioned the new red devil is encroaching on that territory. You could rearrange the tank to see if it helps at all. Remove the JD for a day or so and put him back in.

Also, a clown knife is a really timid fish and such a small one especially shouldn't be with such large aggressive fish. They also need more than a 125 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long have the JD and tilapia been in the tank? The JD was probably the dominant one, they both had their territories, and as was mentioned the new red devil is encroaching on that territory. You could rearrange the tank to see if it helps at all. Remove the JD for a day or so and put him back in.

Also, a clown knife is a really timid fish and such a small one especially shouldn't be with such large aggressive fish. They also need more than a 125 gallon tank.

I agree 100% to this. Cichlids are very territorial fish and they will ALWAYS establish their pecking order even if it means death for a tankmate.

This most likely is going to end bad. The midevil is the largest and the most aggressive. He will eventually claim the tank as his unless you got lucky and got one of the more tolerant ones. You will need to either get a divider or rehome at least the knife and the tilopia. The knife at 3" is just food for the midevil. The JD standing up to the devil is a 50 50 chance.
Good luck.

This most likely is going to end bad. The midevil is the largest and the most aggressive. He will eventually claim the tank as his unless you got lucky and got one of the more tolerant ones. You will need to either get a divider or rehome at least the knife and the tilopia. The knife at 3" is just food for the midevil. The JD standing up to the devil is a 50 50 chance.
Good luck.

Depends on what species the tilapia is. If it's a buttikofferi then the others may be in trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on what species the tilapia is. If it's a buttikofferi then the others may be in trouble.

O Boy only heard about the buttikofferi Did not know it was a tilapia. Do now.

In which case it shouldn't be in a 125 either.

The clown knife is in a different tank on its own. I rehomed the JD to my other tank and the tilopia is getting along just fine now. I tried rearanging the tank to see if that did anything

And its deff not a bittiofferi

A clown knife really should be in a 300 gallon minimum tank, it's not unheard of for them to reach 30". Hopefully yours is.

I have him in my other 120 but i am saving to buy a 240 gallon. I know its not the size you recommend but would that work for a while thats like a 900$ tank so money is still a concern

What would the dimensions be? The main issue is that they grow to 30" in aquariums, longer in the wild so it is possible they may grow larger than 30". It needs room to turn around, so a 24" wide tank will be a very tight squeeze.

I think it was 72 30 25. Or something similar to that

Yeah I think it's on the minimum of what they should have but it's a lot better than what people try to cram them into. It'll be a cool tank for sure, keep us updated on it.

Back
Top Bottom