Help please, green sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joem6376

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please could anyone help, I clean my tank once a week and this always happens towards the end of the week, I have my tank lights on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, when I feed them I check to make sure all the food is gone so I know rotting food isn't the issue. I clean my filter once every other week one sponge at a time, I have been trying to figure out the issue and I've had no luck so far

Attachments

• DSC_1360.JPG
    DSC_1360.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 75
Blue green algae. Low flow and lots of nutrients are why it popped up in my tank. I vacuumed it out and treated the sand with hydrogen peroxide then put it back in the tank. Added a circulation pump to hit the low flow areas and it hasn't come back.

Would the hydrogen peroxide kill my shrimp? Thank you for the help

I would rinse it after treatment before putting back in the tank. Most people treat the sand in the tank but I am overly cautious.

If that doesn't solve the problem erythromycin will kill it. But it will also impact your beneficial bacteria.

Last edited:
I second the blue green algae suggestion. I had it in my tank but didn't know what it was, so let's just say I did the old 'ignore-it-and-maybe-it-will-go-away' trick. Sadly, that did not work.

I treated it with erythromycin for 4 days and haven't seen it since.

Back
Top Bottom