Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! Please I have mystery items

I have a 5 gallon planted tank. 1.5 in. organic soil, 1in gravel. 10 gallons filter with air. Moss, wisteria, 3 diff anubias. 6 shrimp. Feed shrimp 1-2x week. I noticed that I have an out break off 3 mystery things: 1. worms everywhere (LOTS). 2. the smallest things zipping around 3. pencil small snails (no clue).

Any clue to what these are and how to get rid of them?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Look It Up

Not sure of the other two but are the worms small white things that look like thread? If so it's probably planaria which are harmless to fish (I'm guessing to shrimp too), but it's usually a sign of overfeeding. Can you get some pics?

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a snail.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
That's a tiny snail in the pic. They like to hitchhike on plants.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like one of those hitchhikers. If the plants are still new, I would dip them in hydrogen peroxide for 30 seconds.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My moms tank has tiny white worms in it too.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What type of shrimp are they?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of these things will get worse with ovefeeding. That is a common pond snail. The worms may be planaria. Do some good gravel vacs and water changes to remove as much as possible and reduce your feeding to every other day, as long as the fish aren't babies they will tolerate it as well. Feed very small amounts, and I mean very very small amounts only once every other day. I had planaria and I got rid of them easily by doing this. The reduced feedng will greatly reduce your snails reproduction rate and you can manually remove the ones you see.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #10

Tank 11-27 Snail | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Close up of 1 snail as I have 2 different snail types.
I now know what the worms are. I also believe I have seed shrimp & baby yellow shrimplets. Would love to idea the snails.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com