Help please, what is going on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is weird, yesterday one of my white cloud mountain minnows died, earlier today, another one died, and another one just died!
There is only one bn pleco and 8 ghost shrimp un there, it s a 10 gallon
The weird thing is, is that my shrimp are the ones eating the wcmm, it seems like they get the dead ones( I haven't seen them kill them) and when I come back. They are emptied out from the inside, what is this, help!

Attachments

• image-2715623717.jpg
    image-2715623717.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2384617010.jpg
    image-2384617010.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 78
The other fish you have are scavengers so its very likely that they ate on the fish after it was dead, not before. What are you water parameters such as temp, ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? And how long has your tank been set up and how did you cycle it? Knowing the answers to these questions will help us greatly to figure out what's going on

Ammonia is 2ppm?

That's your problem. It should never go above .25 and even at .25 you should be doing a large water change to get it back to 0.

I'm surprised your ghosts aren't trying to jump out of the tank yet since they should be more sensitive to parameters than anything else.

Hi
sorry to intrude if the fish tank have high ammonia how to lower apart from changing water

You can also detoxify the remaining ammonia with safe/prime/ammo lock etc. the test result will still show the ammonia, but it will be in a safer form (buying you more time to change out the water before fish begin dying)

Between the ammonia and high temp its not surprising you're having issues. No pleco should be in a 10g because of their waste production and BNP will get too large for a ten as well. The fish you've selected are also to be kept in coler water. BNP is from 72f- 79f give or take and WCMM are cold water fish cing from cold mountain streams they should be kept in temps from 64f to 72f. Do large water changes every hour until your ammonia is at least at .25ppm or less and use an ammonia detoxifier with the water changes. Then my suggestion is to start thinking about rehoming the pleco and slowly lowing your water temp to meet the needs of your minnows. Lower the temp by one degree every 24 hours

Ok thanks, I'll rehome my pleco to my 55 gallon, I'll start lowering the temps, thanks:)

Ammonia is 2ppm?

That's your problem. It should never go above .25 and even at .25 you should be doing a large water change to get it back to 0.

I'm surprised your ghosts aren't trying to jump out of the tank yet since they should be more sensitive to parameters than anything else.

Actually, the day the first one died, I found a shrimp dead in my desk

Back
Top Bottom