Help sex my blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

askani

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone help sex my blue rams? thanks

Attachments

• dsc00658.jpg
    dsc00658.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 118
  • dsc00659.jpg
    dsc00659.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 104
  • dsc00661.jpg
    dsc00661.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 105
I agree with Fluff....pic 1...long slender, looks like a male. Pic 3, the pink belly is generally the sign of a female.

I would say that the first 2 pictures show a female. This is due to the blue speckles inside of the black dot on its side, I have herd that due to selective breading, the distinguishing traits of the finnage and pink bellies has become less reliable because breeders are actively seeking these traits in their fish. As you may be able to see, my female that spawns regularly has more dorsal finage than most males.. Also, if you look at the shape of the head, females tend to have a more gradual slope through the nose and males tend to have a steeper slope from the top of the head to the nose.

Here is pictures of my pair. notice the blue spangles around the dot of the female, and not dots around the male. Also, notice the difference in head shape that is present in all of my stock.

Attachments

• male.jpg
    male.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 81
  • female.jpg
    female.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 101
I'll have to agree with Fluff too even though the first two pictures are a little blurry.

With the 2 shown together in the last pic, I would say that the fish in the centre in the female. Given that the blue spots are in the black dot on that fish, and the first two that the first two are the same female. The pink belly and slender appearance characteristics can be affected due to light and camera angle.

heres more pix of em

Heres more pics. I try to take better ones but the glare of the glass/ and my bad cam skills dont help lol~

Attachments

• dsc00689.jpg
    dsc00689.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 74
  • dsc00691.jpg
    dsc00691.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 81
  • dsc00692.jpg
    dsc00692.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 77
Those second set of photos, are they all of the same fish? There seems to be the same blue spot in the 5 o'clock position of the black body spot. My guess is female.

Back
Top Bottom