Help sex my Rams!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw someone else has a thread for the same thing, but I didn't want to hijack it :)

GBR pair, male or female??

ForumRunner_20120114_085759.jpg

ForumRunner_20120114_085824.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120114_085907.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120114_085907.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 84
Hate to disagree, but both of the gbrs look like males to me, especially from the black bottom fins and the black spiny mohawks. My female has blue dots in her black patch as well, tho ive heard that this can some times be an unreliable way to sex them.

Both GBRs are clearly female to me. They both have the nice pink belly that comes with sexual maturity. Neither of them have particularly pronounced mohawks that I can see from the pictures.

If I had to guess on the gold ram, I would say male, but thats basically little more than a guess. They are basically just a different color morph of GBRs, and will breed with one of your girls if he takes a fancy to them. That could spell trouble for your other fish if the tank isn't big enough.

Ya the gbr show more of the female characteristics than make, pink belly, blue in black spot and very small extended second ray in dorsal. The males second ray is much longer. Due to inbreeding and such it's hard to make a positive sex but most indicators point to female.

aqua_chem said:
That could spell trouble for your other fish if the tank isn't big enough.

They are the only 6 I have, so they are by themselves in a 4 foot long, 55 gallon. Hopefully that's big enough for them? I thought it would be, but I've never had Rams before, never been able to find any until now!

I don't know how to sex gbr, but I do know Bolivians.
I am fairly confident your first Bolivian is a female. Not positive about the second one though. I am going back and forth on that one. Its a bit hard to see the belly curve well because of that pectoral fin. How do the Bolivians interact? I am going to guess male, but I am definitely not sure.

A four foot 55 should be ok but make sure there is lots of hiding places, rams like heavy cover and get territorial once they pair up. Rule of thumb is 20 gallons per pair but with the length of the 55 I think you should be ok. I have rams and they are nice fish.

kdpuffer said:
A four foot 55 should be ok but make sure there is lots of hiding places, rams like heavy cover and get territorial once they pair up. Rule of thumb is 20 gallons per pair but with the length of the 55 I think you should be ok. I have rams and they are nice fish.

Great!! thanks! There's tons of plants in there...and rock and flower pots...lol...so I did that right :)

That tank looks really good. I love all the pot caves. :) I think that should be quite suitable for the number of rams you have.

Back
Top Bottom