Help sick angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came home from work today and found one of my Angels just swimming/floating at the top of the water. I did about a 40% water change. His eyes kind of look foggy.

What can I do ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not going to lie. It's tough to turn things around when they act like that. Did you do any water changes and forget to add dechlorinator lately? Not being insulting, just have to ask. We have all done it. Test for Ammonia and Nitrite (not nitrate) and see if there is any. If there is add Prime or Amquel + and do water changes. It is also possible he may have parasites. That requires medication. Do you see any white spots? Any physical signs of something wrong with his Body?

Nope didn't forget. He was fine yeaterday. No physical makes or anything all i can see is the foggy in this eyes.

I apologize. I miss understood. I thought you meant he was doing that thing where he was laying on his side swimming funny at the top of the water like he can't control himself.

He is still alive and breathing but barely moving. I have a large net that i have mounted on top of the water so he can you that to rest on and not just float around the tank and be bothered by other fish. He seems pretty comfortable.

His eyes don't seem to be foggy so i think the water change may have helped.

Hoping he will fight out of whatever is wrong. And that isn't a parasite or anything like that.

If he has parasites they can clog his gills and make it hard for him to breath. Usually you will see white spots on his body or the body may take on a dull appearance. That requires medication. The other issue might be ammonia or nitrite in the water. Or Chlorine if you forgot to dechlorinate during a water change. Prime would help Chlorine, Ammonia, and Nitrite. Something is making it hard for him to breath. You need to find out what. Water changes would help everything except parasites. I would do a few more of those.

Nope didn't forget. He was fine yeaterday. No physical makes or anything all i can see is the foggy in this eyes.

Then the question has to be "did you check your water parameters the day before this happened? " He may have been okay yesterday with the water going downhill in quality but today, the water got too bad and effected him.
You said there are other fish in the tank. Could another fish have attacked him ( the eyes are a typical point of attack) and that's the cause?
Just some things to consider. :confused:

Then the question has to be "did you check your water parameters the day before this happened? " He may have been okay yesterday with the water going downhill in quality but today, the water got too bad and effected him.
You said there are other fish in the tank. Could another fish have attacked him ( the eyes are a typical point of attack) and that's the cause?
Just some things to consider. :confused:

This is a good point too. Sometimes Eye injuries and heavy breathing are the result of a beating by another fish. I forgot about that :) Thanks Andy Sager

Back
Top Bottom