Help! Sick fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justfishin17 said:
Ok so for the past few days I've been at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. My fish are doing awesome except for 1. He appears to have nitrite poisoning (no idea how). He is a denison barb. He is laying on his side, unable to right himself, has a bent spine, and is flushing water through his gills at a rapid rate. I cannot see the color o his gills. That was 2 days ago. Since then, I did a 50% water change after I noticed him and added aquarium salt, separated him to a plastic breeder at the surface, and places him near my bubbler and filter output so he can get plenty of oxygen. Each day I've tested my water and it hasn't changed but I've done 25% changes anyways. Today he was able to eat and can right himself for about 5-10 seconds at a time. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? I'm shocked that he's lived this long and seems to be improving. And should I be worried that my cycling has stalled since I've had 0s across the board for several days?

Check your ph. A low ph will stall your cycle. I think it's anything under like 6 or 6.5 stalls a cycle

I think my tank is FINALLY getting close to being cycled. I have ha the flu the last week so my tank got a bit neglected but it must've been the best thing for it. I tested my water and my ammonia was at 0, my nitrites were at 2.0, and my nitrates were at 10.0. I did a 50% water change and double doses prime. My fish are acting great except for the roseline that's been having issues. His spine is bent more than before and he's still having trouble staying upright. Is it possible for a fish to recover from this or should I just call it and euthanize him? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom