HELP. Snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there fellow fish lovers. I have a problem. And that problem is trumpet snails. When I was getting the first fish for my tank (over a year ago) the guy at the pet store accidentally picked up a snail. Then it happened again. And as they are asexual my tank exploded with tiny snails. I kind of solved the problem by plucking a whole lot of them out and just throwing them out (I know terrible) but I missed some and now they're everywhere. What's the most efficient way to rid my tank from them?!

Assassin snails!!! I had a huge snail problem in my 15 gallon. I got 2 assassins and they took care of it easy.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They eat fish food bits too so even if you don't have snails for awhile they should manage to stay alive. I like them better than adding chemicals and other option would be puffers or loaches which is kind of inconvenient.

Extermination team.... Assassin Snail (Non-Asexual) and/or a Clown Loach (Which get like 12 inches long so you need sufficient space or to just borrow one or something)

OKay, I look and see if my LFS carries assasin snails. I do have four kuhli loaches. They used to eat them but they seem to have stopped.

Loaches are a bit of a toss up. Sometimes you get snail eaters, sometimes not. Assassins are a sure bet and a small bioload on a tank.

Kuhlii loaches rarely eat snails, but 99% of clown loaches eat them. They're completely different loaches to be honest.

I'd love to get a clown loach but they get way too big for a 22 gal. And I don't have any fish keeping friends to borrow one from.

There are some different types of loaches that stay smaller. Do you really want a loach? If you get one you should be getting at least 5 which is a big commitment.

Istrom- yeah sure you only need one if you were going to keep it temporarily. But loaches are a group fish. You shouldn't purchase just one and keep it solitary.

Would an assassin snail eat my nerite snails which are quite large or would they just go after the small pond snails?

They should eat everything. You should try calling your LFS and seeing if they want your nerites. They might give you store credit for them

They should eat everything. You should try calling your LFS and seeing if they want your nerites. They might give you store credit for them

If I had any assassins I would but I was just looking at getting some to erradicate the pond snail problem but I'd rather keep my nerites and pond instead of just having assassins since the nerites keep my plants clean =] thank you!

Just got back from my LFS, aaand they don't sell assassin snails. What should I do?

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds section of this group. Some people might send you one and just ask you to pay for postage to ship the little thing.

Back
Top Bottom