Help some advise would be great .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Okay so im new at this ( but loving it) I recently had a huge disaster with my fish, as my filter broke, I went out and brought a " Interpet BIO filter" and the water went very cloudy and i lost 4 angel fish and 5 tetra's, so I did repeated water changes everyday ( about 20%) and it cleared up i then went to get another filter ( to help / back up) it is a external FLUVAL 205 and is great, ( i have a 30 gallon tank ) anyway the problem I have now is that the remaining fish I have ( 2 weeks later from the disaster) which are tetra's and 2 Opaline Gourami, 1 Pearl Gourami, 1 Dwarf Gourami and 1 Trinidad Pleco ( I think ) all the gourami's are chasing each other and so are the tetra’s, as well as that, the gourami's ( sometimes but not that often) rub against plants/ rocks and AS well as that 1 Opaline Gourami seem to have white fecies, but seems healthy but “slightly” less active ??

Any suggestion would be great

:multi: :multi: :multi: Welcome to AA, someoneoranythi!! :multi: :multi: :multi:

First thing is to get a test kit for the water and find out where you are in the cycle, or if after the disaster, the tank has gone into a mini cycle. Liquid test kits are best and you will need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests. pH kits are good to have on hand also.

Reading through this link and checking out diagnostic sites will help if this is not water quality related (or you may be dealing with water quality issues and bacteria/fungal/parasitic issues): http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64798 I'm sure you will find information on white fecies, which is not normal.

Gouramis are not known for being nice. I have never kept them, but many members have had problems keeping numerous gouramis together. They are related to the betta, the "fighting fish" and share some of those qualities. You will probably need to separate them. I’m surprised you didn’t see this when the angels were in the tank, as gouramis are known nippers.

Thinking long term, once all these problems are sorted out, you need to consider compatibility issues in the space a 30 gallon allows to avoid trouble when you restock your tank. That’s for a whole other thread when you are ready.

hey ya and thank you,

Iv got a "freshwater master test kit" and checking the results, the water is perfect, expect the "PH" is very slightly high but not worth worrieing. Thank you for the reply an update about the gourami with the white fecies another gourami has now got them anyway the 1st one has got two white Indentations oh its head i don't think its ICH because its an indentation perhaps they come from swimming into things, but im not sure i have got photos ( not good ones though) to show but i don't know if one can post them?

Anyway thanks for your help hope to hear from you soon.

Ps. im 16 years of age. live in the Uk and I am actually Dyslexic and not a person that uses it as a reason not to spell correctly, ( it bugs me and oh and hence any spelling mistakes) oh and sorry 4 not saying i have a test kit in the fist post.

I'm glad you got the Master Test Kit. It's a good one. But in order for us to help you as much as possible, we like to see the actual numbers. Did you get any reading at all for ammonia or nitrite? What was your exact value for nitrate? How high exactly is your pH?

And WELCOME TO AA!!

the "PH" is very slightly high but not worth worrieing
There is no perfect pH, stable pH is better, which is what you probably have, but exact numbers would be helpful.
i have got photos ( not good ones though) to show but i don't know if one can post them?
When you post, there are choices along the bottom, "All", "Quote Selected", etc. Choose "Preview" and you will see where pics can be brought up from your computer.

Look through the link I gave you earlier and check the first link—it’s a three page diagnostic chart and will help you figure out what is ailing your fish.

Thanks here is the exact readings from this morning: (UK) ( they have changed since last week as the pH has increased from 7.2 oh and the NITRATE )

AMMONIA 0ppm
pH 7.6
NITRITE 0 - 0.25
NITRATE 40-160 ((high) cant tell all the reds are the same)

okay this is strange the fish seem to be full of energy one moment, and then resting on the bed the next, and they wont stop chasing each other as tho they are trying to bite each other, is it something to do with the High NITRATE if so what should i do????

PLEASE HELP!!!!

OKAy as everyone is ofline i went with my gut and did a 40% water change was that write and what should i do now?

now the results for the NITRATE is about 20 ppm

but the fish are still very twitchy and jumpy? help anyone please

Most fish can tolerate between 40-80 ppm nitrate. The pH is fine, but I'm bothered that it went up. Do a little experiment and leave a glass of tap water (if that's what you're using to fill the tank) out overnight to allow the gases to equilibrate, then test for pH and nitrates.

As for why your fish are jumpy, is anyone's guess. Have you looked through the links in this post? http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=64798 There's a not much we can do if you don't do your part, which is researching what is ailing your finned friends.

Thank you very much il do the test to night, were i live the water is from a spring filtered through chalk ect so great clean water ( with no chlorine) but im going to do that test you recommended and il have another look through the great web sites you gave us, thanks again and take care.

Back
Top Bottom