Help Starting A "Tiny Monster" Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green Terrors maybe?

I have an extremely gorgeous green terror. He would definitely be labeled as a show male. He does not live up to his name as a terror. He is sweet and friendly. He only fights or attacks when his is provoked. He never starts anything. And since everyone's seen him in action, no one has enough testosterone to mess with him. But he recognizes me and will swim up and act like a puppy when I'm around. I'm sad I will eventually have to get rid of him when he is full grown. But he is about three inches of plant and fish friendly beaut. I would recommend him and another big SA cichild. These pics don't do him any justice.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130721_164128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130721_164128.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 73
What I have in with my green terror is a electric blue/blue gene or what ever you want to call it. He is very spunky but a little more shy. He has an awful case of fin rot right now and is hiding in my hospital tank.

This is my red shouldered Severum. He's about 6"-7". There are a few different colorations of Severum. Thread fin Acara are also beautiful.

image-3897263946.jpg

I'm particularly. Interested in the South American cichlids, but my knowledge is limited. From what I understand, I can only have a single Green Terror or Severum, with nothing else in the tank. I'd really prefer a few fish over just one. Threadfin Acara look cool as well, but pose a similair issue regarding tankmates. Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming! :p

If you get the fish when they are an inch long, they will have less problems when they are full grown. And notice how I said less not no. But the problem with that is you have no monsters for a few years. If you have other tanks, you could add a few compatable fish, untill they are the same size like convicts, firemouths, or a eb jack Dempsey. This will fill the tank untill your monsters are 5-6 inches. Plus, if you get lucky, your fish could actually be quite docile with one another, amd they are smart fish who recognize you.

Right now I'm debating between Blue Acaras, Green Terrors, Convicts, or Jack Dempseys. Obviously, I could house a single adult GT or JD in the 55, or do a single pair of Convicts. The Blue Acaras can be housed with other fish, but seemingly get confused with GT at LFS. I am really fond of the Jack Dempseys I have seen, but keeping a single fish kinda bums me. All of them, from what I've read will try to destroy my plants, but it's a battle I'm willing to endure. What's your opinion of these options?

You could have two Ebjd and a terror that would be okay. Ebjd only reach 6 inches.

Here's what's in my 55g; 6" red shouldered Severum, 4" Festivum, 6" geophagus, 2 4" clown loaches, 2 4" yoyo loaches, 2 2" kubotai loaches, 1" zebra loach and a bushy nose pleco. Some people would say that's overstocked. We have never had an issue with this tank, no aggression, no disease. We provided some caves for the loaches to hide when they want. The Geo will dig up anything and loves to rearrange the tank so he wouldn't be right for you. We also had tiger barbs in their and some Danios with no problem. Like I said before, there area my types of Severum ( check out the red spot, Hero Efaciatus). Good luck to you!

I wouldn't keep two jack dempseys and a green terror in a 55. First electric blue jack dempseys are very delicate so you would need a healthy fish. Second, those fish produce lots of waste and would probably fight. All three of those fish in such a small tank is asking for trouble. I'm not a cichlid expert but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work

Back
Top Bottom