Help stock my tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 "big" tanks as of right now

75 gallon
10 Cory cats
8 small angels
2 nitrite snails
2 ABN plecos
7 cherry barbs

46 bow front.
Empty.

I want to kno if I can put a peacock eel or (golden dojo) loach in the 75
And for the 46 can I put

5-6 golden wonder killies
Any type of bottom feeder eel/loach
And 2-3 gourami

I would reduce the number of angels in your 75. Once they grow up they will start killing each other. You might be able to keep 2 pair in a tank that size but I wouldn't try any more than that.

The dojo should work just fine in that tank though. I would probably do more than just one though

As for the other tank, if you want 3 gourami take a look at getting 1 male and 2 females. Take a look at a shoal of kuhli loaches with a sand substrate. I always thought that would be a fun grouping to have.

While it will be quite tight for 8 angels in a 75 they won't start killing each other as they mature. In fact if you keep a larger number of angels it's good to have 6 or more as aggression is more spread out and no one individual tends to get picked on. Even when they pair up. Often with several pairs in a tank they don't tend to pick territories. Some actually tend to spawn in the same area and will keep others out of the immediate spawn area but overall it works. I started with 14 angels in my 220. I had to sell 2 very mean adult males and once they were gone the remaining 12 settled in. I've had up to 3 pairs spawning at the same time.

I stand corrected. But it still seems like 8 is a bit too much in a tank that size to me.

Yes 8 adults in a 75 is IMO a lot but a lot depends on individual temperaments. Some angels mature to become monsters. Large aggressive males I've found tend to be the worst but over the years I've run across some pretty nasty females. Time will tell how things will play out with the angels so OP once they hit around 8 months which is when they mature you will have to monitor things and take action if needed. I do strongly suggest planting the tank heavily and adding a couple big Swords.

The angels are still small. 1-1.5 inches. I wall start selling a few as they mature. End up with 2 pairs hopefully
And how many dojos? Like 4?
And the tank is already planted with 2-3
Med-Lg swards.
So it's a
No to the peacock eel?

In over 30 years I've never messed with eel's so I'm not help there. Dojo loaches can get pretty big so if you start with 4 you may have to rehome 1 or 2 down the road.

Back
Top Bottom