Help? Stocking 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking 1 albino catfish 4 female guppies 1 male guppy and a pleco

Nano community? A mix of some of the following: chili rasbora, microdevario kubotai, CPD's, danio erythromicron, danio tinwini, Endlers livebearers, least killies, ember tetras, normans lampeye, clown killies, corydoras pygmaeus, corydoras hastatus, corydoras habrosus, hara jerdoni, akysis vespa, yunnanilus cruciatus, dwarf chain loach, scarlet badis, sparkling gourmi, pygmy gourami, licorice gourami, green babaulti shrimp, thai micro crabs, cambarellus shufeldtii, CPO's.

I'm guessing the ablino catfish you are referring to is an albino cory. Those need to be stocked in groups of atleast 4. They are very active catfish that grow to about 3" and need a minimum tank size of 29gals or a 20L will work as well. Even the smallest varieties of dwarf plecos still need 20-29gal minimum as well. The guppies would work though.

Ok thanks for the help guys and squirrels

Nickie said:

You could do the five guppies but not the albino Cory(2 inches+,need groups of 5 or more) or the pleco which get way too big
You could however do an oto
Or maybe even a dwarf pufferfish species only tank with two indian dwarf puffers or pea puffers
You could also get C.Hasbrous,dwarf cories
Scarlet Badis are also fun and you could add RCS
I love the Celestial Pearl Danios,which are adorable and very colorful.

Do you have plans for all of the guppy fry that will be produced?

I agree that any pleco species will be cramped in a 10 gallon. Oto's are pretty active and do better in schools. I would say you could attempt 3 oto's but you need to make sure you supplement their diet as they only eat soft algae. I feed mine zuchini or cucumber once or twice a week and they love it. I also drop in spirulina wafers twice a week but I have other bottom feeders as well.

Oto's can be pretty sensitive, and you'll often hear from other hobbyists that their's died off quickly. For the best success with them, I recommend you stock oto's in groups of 3 or more, with no more than 1 per 5 gals. IMO they aren't suitable for 10 gal tanks. If you were to decide to try them, be sure the tank has been running for atleast 6 months as they need mature tanks.

Last edited:
Oto's can be pretty sensitive, and you'll often hear from other hobbyists that their's died off quickly. For the best success with them, I recommend you stock oto's in groups of 3 or more, with no more than 1 per 5 gals. IMO they aren't suitable for 10 gal tanks. If you were to decide to try them, be sure the tank has been running for atleast 6 months as they need mature tanks.

I agree with you on everything except for the fact that they are sensitive fish. I have 6 oto's, 4 of which I have had for a year when I set up a brand new 29 gallon tank and did a fish in cycle. They are now moved to my 55 gallon and doing great. I think the problem with oto's being "sensitive" is because they are not fed properly. They need to graze constantly and they won't eat most prepared food, although I have seen mine eat the hikari spirulina wafers. As I said, feeding cucumber or zucchini about twice a week has really been beneficial. I put a slice in at night and take it out sometime the next day. The rest of the week they graze on whatever else is growing in the tank. I also have a planted tank and I think oto's really need live plants but thats just from my experience.

Exactly, and adding them to mature tanks is one measure you can take to be sure they are properly fed. They are sensitive because they are wild caught and don't always eat supplements. In general, all wild caught fish who's diet is 100% comprised of algaes should be added to well established tanks of a decent size. I'm glad you've done well with yours when added to a new tank, but I can't tell you how often I hear the opposite experience, and I think being patient in regards to when you add them and taking care not to overstock them is the way to go. I feed mine blanched veggies regularly, but I had them for months before they started to eat them, and they still won't eat prepared foods like wafers. Had I added them to a tank that I had just set up, or overstocked them, they likely would have died from starvation, especially when you consider they are typically already starving when you get them from the LFS. Personally, I would only keep them in planted tanks as well. I agree they aren't sensitive otherwise. It is the feeding issue that results in so many oto losses IMO.

Yeah I completely agree thanks again for all the help

Ok I'll check them out any other suggestions

Back
Top Bottom