Help stocking a 60 gallon - barbs/ kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for suggestions for stocking a 60 gallon! This is my third tank (MTS), but it is always fun to plan the stocking phase :) I just upgraded my mbuna to a 125 gallon that were previously in the 60 g. I love my African cichlids and happy to get the acei some more swimming space. I also have a 20g African Clawed Frog tank.

So.... all these tanks are in the basement (man cave) and this particular one will be behind the bar. What I'm saying is that most of the time people won't be looking at them from inches away. My thought is the barbs will get big enough to show up well from a viewing distance of 6 feet for anyone sitting at the bar.

My thought was it would be fun to get a large school of tiger barbs. Maybe 20 or so - I think it would be beautiful with lots of movement. I know that they aren't that unique, but I've always really liked the look of them. And then maybe 10 kuhli loaches, which I've read that they might be good tank mates with barbs and could be fun to keep.

So my question is... and I'm open to ideas - is there any other stocking idea I should consider other than the barbs/kuhlies? The idea of discus or saltwater reef tend to cross my mind, but I just don't think I want to deal with that much work. I still have the 125 g maintenance so I don't want to take on an exponential amount of additional maintenance.

Just got the dual AC 70 filters delivered yesterday, so I'll start cycling tonight!

Thanks,
Scott

I'm looking for suggestions for stocking a 60 gallon! This is my third tank (MTS), but it is always fun to plan the stocking phase :) I just upgraded my mbuna to a 125 gallon that were previously in the 60 g. I love my African cichlids and happy to get the acei some more swimming space. I also have a 20g African Clawed Frog tank.

So.... all these tanks are in the basement (man cave) and this particular one will be behind the bar. What I'm saying is that most of the time people won't be looking at them from inches away. My thought is the barbs will get big enough to show up well from a viewing distance of 6 feet for anyone sitting at the bar.

My thought was it would be fun to get a large school of tiger barbs. Maybe 20 or so - I think it would be beautiful with lots of movement. I know that they aren't that unique, but I've always really liked the look of them. And then maybe 10 kuhli loaches, which I've read that they might be good tank mates with barbs and could be fun to keep.

So my question is... and I'm open to ideas - is there any other stocking idea I should consider other than the barbs/kuhlies? The idea of discus or saltwater reef tend to cross my mind, but I just don't think I want to deal with that much work. I still have the 125 g maintenance so I don't want to take on an exponential amount of additional maintenance.

Just got the dual AC 70 filters delivered yesterday, so I'll start cycling tonight!

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott. The kuhli loaches are cool looking, but are nocturnal, so you can only guess how often you'll get to see them in action. There are lots of different patterned Angel fish that you can get. I even have one that is completely blond. They are shaped nicely shaped and pretty active. Usually The best size to start with are medium. They quickly grow to about the size of your hand. Get about 5 of them with a school of 6 albino cory catfish. They tend to school and are also very active with the benefit of keeping otherwise uneaten food on the bottom from spoiling. Just make sure you choose a background that is light in color to help to see the fish from. Both the Angels and the corys originate from the Amazon and thrive in the same water conditions including temperature. Just one suggestion...I'm sure you'll get several. Good Luck.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think about angelfish but I really think they would look good. Would you recommend all the same type of angels or could I get a mix of different kinds?

Any reason for albino corys? Because the spotted sterba ones look really cool :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think about angelfish but I really think they would look good. Would you recommend all the same type of angels or could I get a mix of different kinds?

Any reason for albino corys? Because the spotted sterba ones look really cool :)
They all started from the same genetic strain originally from the Amazon. As time went on, deformaties occurred in coloration that breeders passed on to offspring in order to perpetuate these traits. We don't refer to unique specimens as genetically as deformed, but as "sports". So you can mix or match. I have 2 marbled,1 striped, and 1 solid blond. They fight like cats and dogs sometimes and all get along sometimes. I think it's because I have 1 female and 3 males. But they don't actually harm each other. Don't add all 5 at once. Get 2 or 3 along with 3 albino cory catfish. Wait a couple of weeks to make sure the biological filter has caught up. Then get 3 more corys and wait 1 more week after which you get the rest of the Angels. Get medium angels to start with so as they grow, the biological system will grow with them. I get nothing but compliments on my Angel fish tank. If you use a light colored sand as your substrate along with a light colored background, it will help show off the fish better from a distance and be better for the corys that like to dig in it a little.

They all started from the same genetic strain originally from the Amazon. As time went on, deformaties occurred in coloration that breeders passed on to offspring in order to perpetuate these traits. We don't refer to unique specimens as genetically as deformed, but as "sports". So you can mix or match. I have 2 marbled,1 striped, and 1 solid blond. They fight like cats and dogs sometimes and all get along sometimes. I think it's because I have 1 female and 3 males. But they don't actually harm each other. Don't add all 5 at once. Get 2 or 3 along with 3 albino cory catfish. Wait a couple of weeks to make sure the biological filter has caught up. Then get 3 more corys and wait 1 more week after which you get the rest of the Angels. Get medium angels to start with so as they grow, the biological system will grow with them. I get nothing but compliments on my Angel fish tank. If you use a light colored sand as your substrate along with a light colored background, it will help show off the fish better from a distance and be better for the corys that like to dig in it a little.
My only reason for suggesting albinos was the ease of seeing them from a distance. Get which ever species you like best, but in their case, don't mix and match. Keep them all the same as they prefer to school withh their own kind.

Thanks so much for all of the info! I got the filters going and added 2 ppm ammonium tonight and seeded with a sponge filter from the frog tank.

I was thinking of using the tank as a temporary quarantine (once it is cycled) for some new Africans before adding them to my other tank. That should help build up the bio in the tank as well.

Already checking out the angels on liveaquaria.com - hopefully stop in this weekend and see what the local stores carry.

Thanks so much for all of the info! I got the filters going and added 2 ppm ammonium tonight and seeded with a sponge filter from the frog tank.

I was thinking of using the tank as a temporary quarantine (once it is cycled) for some new Africans before adding them to my other tank. That should help build up the bio in the tank as well.

Already checking out the angels on liveaquaria.com - hopefully stop in this weekend and see what the local stores carry.
Good going...now let's see how much patience you have when you see the Angels at the pet shop. Lol

It was so hard waiting for that first tank to cycle when I fish started... it is a little easier being patient now :D

It was so hard waiting for that first tank to cycle when I fish started... it is a little easier being patient now :D
Great. And when you do start with Angels, pick only the two prettiest ones the pet shop has when you 1st start adding them. Wait a week or so and go back to see if they have a new shipment or go to another store and get 1 or 2 of Angels that are pretty and/or unique. Then wait another week or so to complete your totat of 5. You will have a better chance of getting different varieties. They will all be unique in pattern and/or color while all having the same body shape to blend in together. You will have a really nice setup that's nice on the eyes...especially 3 months later when they've grown to be about the size of your hands. Have Fun! Lol

I agree with Dr.J, "Angels" are great fish and would fit in nicely within the constraints of a 60 gal. Tank. If you still are interested in Loaches, research the Red Fin Botia Loach Aka, Blue Botia.
I've got three of them in my 65 gal. Grow out tank.
They are non-stop action, day and night, a very pretty Loach. They have a bad reputation of being too aggressive, but mine are kept with schools of Black Skirt and Candy Cane Tetras as well as a baby Firemouth. The little Firemouth actually beats up on the Red Tails at feeding time.

Attachments

• 20180412_103325.jpg
    20180412_103325.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 106
IMG_0246.jpg

Bought 4 amazon sword and added some small driftwood. I added some aquarium sand and weirdly some it floats initially which is kind of annoying. I think most of it has sunk now.

Any advice on aquascaping for an angel/cory tank? Thinking I would maybe buy some manzanita driftwood to add?

View attachment 308459

Bought 4 amazon sword and added some small driftwood. I added some aquarium sand and weirdly some it floats initially which is kind of annoying. I think most of it has sunk now.

Any advice on aquascaping for an angel/cory tank? Thinking I would maybe buy some manzanita driftwood to add?
A nice large branched piece of driftwood would look great in your tank. Some nice plastic rock formations would be nice to add too. Real rocks make me nervous because of the tank bottom being glass. Your plants look nice...good start. Little tunnel like rock formations are good for the corys as they like to group together in such hidind places at night or when frightened, but not absolutely necessary.

A nice large branched piece of driftwood would look great in your tank. Some nice plastic rock formations would be nice to add too. Real rocks make me nervous because of the tank bottom being glass. Your plants look nice...good start. Little tunnel like rock formations are good for the corys as they like to group together in such hidind places at night or when frightened, but not absolutely necessary.
A side note about the plastic rocks is they are easy for the Angels to clean a spot it the future should spawning occur.

Relax, Dr.J, regarding real rock decor, and the associated added weight. Properly supported aquarium glass can hold a lot of weight "within reason".
Pardon the "Photo bomb"
Pictured is my display tank as it looked a year ago. It's holding approx. 200 lbs. Of rock.
Also pictured is Manzanita and Malaysian driftwood.
Remember the rock displaces a substantial amount of water weight. Much more aquascaping potential with real minerals IMO.

Attachments

• 20171026_223047.jpg
    20171026_223047.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 104
Relax, Dr.J, regarding real rock decor, and the associated added weight. Properly supported aquarium glass can hold a lot of weight "within reason".
Pardon the "Photo bomb"
Pictured is my display tank as it looked a year ago. It's holding approx. 200 lbs. Of rock.
Also pictured is Manzanita and Malaysian driftwood.
Remember the rock displaces a substantial amount of water weight. Much more aquascaping potential with real minerals IMO.
Very nice. I know people get large pieces of live rock in tanks, but I always thought it was quite porous. I can see how sand and other substate could cushion it too with weight distribution.

As you know beneficial bacteria not only grows in the filtration media, but also on the decor. Especially on porus rocks and driftwood. 3" of small grain gravel or sand is a good amount when scaping with big rocks. 2" depth is fine otherwise. Got to take into consideration, cichlids that dig in the substrate.

As you know beneficial bacteria not only grows in the filtration media, but also on the decor. Especially on porus rocks and driftwood. 3" of small grain gravel or sand is a good amount when scaping with big rocks. 2" depth is fine otherwise. Got to take into consideration, cichlids that dig in the substrate.
Makes sense on a physics level. And I know how cichlids like to dig and rearrange pebbles and gravel. Almost like they're rearranging furniture. Lol

Nice tank! I love to see different pictures :) Yes, I probably had 80-100 lbs of rocks in this tank when it was holding mbuna. It made me a little nervous with only 13" depth to stack anything the way they dig up sand, but luckily I never had an issue. I cleaned off some sandstone to add and ordered 2 24" pieces of sand blasted manzanilla that should be here by the end of the week. The Malaysian driftwood in there now is just too small so I'll be moving it to my 20g frog tank.

Tank is cycled, probably from the get go as I moved the sponges filter over from another tank.

Ordered 6 corydora sterbai that off ebay that will be coming next week. Figuring to put those in first and wait a week our two before adding some angels.

I have a couple of pieces of 24" manzanita that is supposed to come Tuesday as well.

Excited to see it coming together!

Back
Top Bottom