Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ulrichsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 300
Cool fish! Thanks for the suggestion. The firemouth is a beauty as well!
__________________

__________________
60 gallon 48"l w/ Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei, Pseudotropheus demasoni
Ulrichsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ulrichsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 300
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	308459

Bought 4 amazon sword and added some small driftwood. I added some aquarium sand and weirdly some it floats initially which is kind of annoying. I think most of it has sunk now.

Any advice on aquascaping for an angel/cory tank? Thinking I would maybe buy some manzanita driftwood to add?
__________________

__________________
60 gallon 48"l w/ Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei, Pseudotropheus demasoni
Ulrichsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrichsd View Post
Attachment 308459

Bought 4 amazon sword and added some small driftwood. I added some aquarium sand and weirdly some it floats initially which is kind of annoying. I think most of it has sunk now.

Any advice on aquascaping for an angel/cory tank? Thinking I would maybe buy some manzanita driftwood to add?
A nice large branched piece of driftwood would look great in your tank. Some nice plastic rock formations would be nice to add too. Real rocks make me nervous because of the tank bottom being glass. Your plants look nice...good start. Little tunnel like rock formations are good for the corys as they like to group together in such hidind places at night or when frightened, but not absolutely necessary.
__________________
drjallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjallen3 View Post
A nice large branched piece of driftwood would look great in your tank. Some nice plastic rock formations would be nice to add too. Real rocks make me nervous because of the tank bottom being glass. Your plants look nice...good start. Little tunnel like rock formations are good for the corys as they like to group together in such hidind places at night or when frightened, but not absolutely necessary.
A side note about the plastic rocks is they are easy for the Angels to clean a spot it the future should spawning occur.
__________________
drjallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict


 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,024
Relax, Dr.J, regarding real rock decor, and the associated added weight. Properly supported aquarium glass can hold a lot of weight "within reason".
Pardon the "Photo bomb"
Pictured is my display tank as it looked a year ago. It's holding approx. 200 lbs. Of rock.
Also pictured is Manzanita and Malaysian driftwood.
Remember the rock displaces a substantial amount of water weight. Much more aquascaping potential with real minerals IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_223047.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	308468  
__________________
V227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Relax, Dr.J, regarding real rock decor, and the associated added weight. Properly supported aquarium glass can hold a lot of weight "within reason".
Pardon the "Photo bomb"
Pictured is my display tank as it looked a year ago. It's holding approx. 200 lbs. Of rock.
Also pictured is Manzanita and Malaysian driftwood.
Remember the rock displaces a substantial amount of water weight. Much more aquascaping potential with real minerals IMO.
Very nice. I know people get large pieces of live rock in tanks, but I always thought it was quite porous. I can see how sand and other substate could cushion it too with weight distribution.
__________________
drjallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict


 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,024
As you know beneficial bacteria not only grows in the filtration media, but also on the decor. Especially on porus rocks and driftwood. 3" of small grain gravel or sand is a good amount when scaping with big rocks. 2" depth is fine otherwise. Got to take into consideration, cichlids that dig in the substrate.
__________________
V227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
As you know beneficial bacteria not only grows in the filtration media, but also on the decor. Especially on porus rocks and driftwood. 3" of small grain gravel or sand is a good amount when scaping with big rocks. 2" depth is fine otherwise. Got to take into consideration, cichlids that dig in the substrate.
Makes sense on a physics level. And I know how cichlids like to dig and rearrange pebbles and gravel. Almost like they're rearranging furniture. Lol
__________________
drjallen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ulrichsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 300
Nice tank! I love to see different pictures Yes, I probably had 80-100 lbs of rocks in this tank when it was holding mbuna. It made me a little nervous with only 13" depth to stack anything the way they dig up sand, but luckily I never had an issue. I cleaned off some sandstone to add and ordered 2 24" pieces of sand blasted manzanilla that should be here by the end of the week. The Malaysian driftwood in there now is just too small so I'll be moving it to my 20g frog tank.
__________________
60 gallon 48"l w/ Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei, Pseudotropheus demasoni
Ulrichsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ulrichsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 300
Tank is cycled, probably from the get go as I moved the sponges filter over from another tank.

Ordered 6 corydora sterbai that off ebay that will be coming next week. Figuring to put those in first and wait a week our two before adding some angels.

I have a couple of pieces of 24" manzanita that is supposed to come Tuesday as well.

Excited to see it coming together!
__________________

__________________
60 gallon 48"l w/ Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei, Pseudotropheus demasoni
Ulrichsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
60 gallon, angel, angelfish, cory, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can kuhli loaches be kept with tiger barbs? kmalek321 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 04-09-2018 11:19 PM
Help feeding kuhli loaches JHK Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 07-30-2014 07:30 PM
Kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon fishdude25 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 28 01-18-2014 12:42 PM
Adding kuhli loaches to a 10 gallon tank. Svenix Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 09-13-2012 01:08 PM
Wanted: Wanted Zebra Loaches and kuhli loaches in So cal mulishafan90 Archive 0 03-14-2012 06:41 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.