Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help stocking a 60 gallon - barbs/ kuhli loaches?

I'm looking for suggestions for stocking a 60 gallon! This is my third tank (MTS), but it is always fun to plan the stocking phase I just upgraded my mbuna to a 125 gallon that were previously in the 60 g. I love my African cichlids and happy to get the acei some more swimming space. I also have a 20g African Clawed Frog tank.

So.... all these tanks are in the basement (man cave) and this particular one will be behind the bar. What I'm saying is that most of the time people won't be looking at them from inches away. My thought is the barbs will get big enough to show up well from a viewing distance of 6 feet for anyone sitting at the bar.

My thought was it would be fun to get a large school of tiger barbs. Maybe 20 or so - I think it would be beautiful with lots of movement. I know that they aren't that unique, but I've always really liked the look of them. And then maybe 10 kuhli loaches, which I've read that they might be good tank mates with barbs and could be fun to keep.

So my question is... and I'm open to ideas - is there any other stocking idea I should consider other than the barbs/kuhlies? The idea of discus or saltwater reef tend to cross my mind, but I just don't think I want to deal with that much work. I still have the 125 g maintenance so I don't want to take on an exponential amount of additional maintenance.

Just got the dual AC 70 filters delivered yesterday, so I'll start cycling tonight!

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrichsd View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for stocking a 60 gallon! This is my third tank (MTS), but it is always fun to plan the stocking phase I just upgraded my mbuna to a 125 gallon that were previously in the 60 g. I love my African cichlids and happy to get the acei some more swimming space. I also have a 20g African Clawed Frog tank.

So.... all these tanks are in the basement (man cave) and this particular one will be behind the bar. What I'm saying is that most of the time people won't be looking at them from inches away. My thought is the barbs will get big enough to show up well from a viewing distance of 6 feet for anyone sitting at the bar.

My thought was it would be fun to get a large school of tiger barbs. Maybe 20 or so - I think it would be beautiful with lots of movement. I know that they aren't that unique, but I've always really liked the look of them. And then maybe 10 kuhli loaches, which I've read that they might be good tank mates with barbs and could be fun to keep.

So my question is... and I'm open to ideas - is there any other stocking idea I should consider other than the barbs/kuhlies? The idea of discus or saltwater reef tend to cross my mind, but I just don't think I want to deal with that much work. I still have the 125 g maintenance so I don't want to take on an exponential amount of additional maintenance.

Just got the dual AC 70 filters delivered yesterday, so I'll start cycling tonight!

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott. The kuhli loaches are cool looking, but are nocturnal, so you can only guess how often you'll get to see them in action. There are lots of different patterned Angel fish that you can get. I even have one that is completely blond. They are shaped nicely shaped and pretty active. Usually The best size to start with are medium. They quickly grow to about the size of your hand. Get about 5 of them with a school of 6 albino cory catfish. They tend to school and are also very active with the benefit of keeping otherwise uneaten food on the bottom from spoiling. Just make sure you choose a background that is light in color to help to see the fish from. Both the Angels and the corys originate from the Amazon and thrive in the same water conditions including temperature. Just one suggestion...I'm sure you'll get several. Good Luck.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think about angelfish but I really think they would look good. Would you recommend all the same type of angels or could I get a mix of different kinds?

Any reason for albino corys? Because the spotted sterba ones look really cool
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think about angelfish but I really think they would look good. Would you recommend all the same type of angels or could I get a mix of different kinds?

Any reason for albino corys? Because the spotted sterba ones look really cool
They all started from the same genetic strain originally from the Amazon. As time went on, deformaties occurred in coloration that breeders passed on to offspring in order to perpetuate these traits. We don't refer to unique specimens as genetically as deformed, but as "sports". So you can mix or match. I have 2 marbled,1 striped, and 1 solid blond. They fight like cats and dogs sometimes and all get along sometimes. I think it's because I have 1 female and 3 males. But they don't actually harm each other. Don't add all 5 at once. Get 2 or 3 along with 3 albino cory catfish. Wait a couple of weeks to make sure the biological filter has caught up. Then get 3 more corys and wait 1 more week after which you get the rest of the Angels. Get medium angels to start with so as they grow, the biological system will grow with them. I get nothing but compliments on my Angel fish tank. If you use a light colored sand as your substrate along with a light colored background, it will help show off the fish better from a distance and be better for the corys that like to dig in it a little.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjallen3 View Post
They all started from the same genetic strain originally from the Amazon. As time went on, deformaties occurred in coloration that breeders passed on to offspring in order to perpetuate these traits. We don't refer to unique specimens as genetically as deformed, but as "sports". So you can mix or match. I have 2 marbled,1 striped, and 1 solid blond. They fight like cats and dogs sometimes and all get along sometimes. I think it's because I have 1 female and 3 males. But they don't actually harm each other. Don't add all 5 at once. Get 2 or 3 along with 3 albino cory catfish. Wait a couple of weeks to make sure the biological filter has caught up. Then get 3 more corys and wait 1 more week after which you get the rest of the Angels. Get medium angels to start with so as they grow, the biological system will grow with them. I get nothing but compliments on my Angel fish tank. If you use a light colored sand as your substrate along with a light colored background, it will help show off the fish better from a distance and be better for the corys that like to dig in it a little.
My only reason for suggesting albinos was the ease of seeing them from a distance. Get which ever species you like best, but in their case, don't mix and match. Keep them all the same as they prefer to school withh their own kind.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks so much for all of the info! I got the filters going and added 2 ppm ammonium tonight and seeded with a sponge filter from the frog tank.

I was thinking of using the tank as a temporary quarantine (once it is cycled) for some new Africans before adding them to my other tank. That should help build up the bio in the tank as well.

Already checking out the angels on liveaquaria.com - hopefully stop in this weekend and see what the local stores carry.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of the info! I got the filters going and added 2 ppm ammonium tonight and seeded with a sponge filter from the frog tank.

I was thinking of using the tank as a temporary quarantine (once it is cycled) for some new Africans before adding them to my other tank. That should help build up the bio in the tank as well.

Already checking out the angels on liveaquaria.com - hopefully stop in this weekend and see what the local stores carry.
Good going...now let's see how much patience you have when you see the Angels at the pet shop. Lol
Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was so hard waiting for that first tank to cycle when I fish started... it is a little easier being patient now
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It was so hard waiting for that first tank to cycle when I fish started... it is a little easier being patient now
Great. And when you do start with Angels, pick only the two prettiest ones the pet shop has when you 1st start adding them. Wait a week or so and go back to see if they have a new shipment or go to another store and get 1 or 2 of Angels that are pretty and/or unique. Then wait another week or so to complete your totat of 5. You will have a better chance of getting different varieties. They will all be unique in pattern and/or color while all having the same body shape to blend in together. You will have a really nice setup that's nice on the eyes...especially 3 months later when they've grown to be about the size of your hands. Have Fun! Lol
Old 04-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Dr.J, "Angels" are great fish and would fit in nicely within the constraints of a 60 gal. Tank. If you still are interested in Loaches, research the Red Fin Botia Loach Aka, Blue Botia.
I've got three of them in my 65 gal. Grow out tank.
They are non-stop action, day and night, a very pretty Loach. They have a bad reputation of being too aggressive, but mine are kept with schools of Black Skirt and Candy Cane Tetras as well as a baby Firemouth. The little Firemouth actually beats up on the Red Tails at feeding time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180412_103325.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	308378  

Tags
60 gallon, angel, angelfish, cory, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com