HELP! Tank cleaning mistake made! Need advice urgently!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am "fish tank sitting" for a friend for a few months, and the tank was filthy when he dropped it off (empty, fish and gravel in separate containers). I decided to clean the tank, and used a bit of bleach and some dish soap. Then, after the fact, I thought I should probably do some research on tank cleaning, and discovered that the soap was a really bad idea because it could leave residue. I have rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the tank with hot water, but I'm still nervous.

I was thinking about putting just one fish in there and seeing if it lasts the night. My question is... has anyone else cleaned their tank with dish soap and NOT have had a bad experience? Also, is one night enough of a "test", or could the fish hang on overnight and then keel over a week later because of the possible soap residue (despite my rinsing efforts)???

Thanks much,
LA

FYI to the others: CAL91666 and I chatted, and the resulting advice was to re-bleach the tank, since the bleach should break down the soap residue and will evaporate cleanly, and then I should dry the tank with a towel or hairdryer. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!

Thanks again!

I would not use a hair dryer. I would worry that you might dry out the sylicon to much with the heat from the dryer. rinse the tank till you cant smell the bleach any more than just towel dry the outside.

Back
Top Bottom