HELP, there's a baby in my water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandap79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
So i have a lovely cycled tank, added some fish a few days ago and thought id do a water change. I only syphoned out a baby platy. He was obviously hiding in the rocks, no more than a millimetre big.

So, it's 9pm, all the shops are shut and need some advice. Do I
1. Put him back in the tank (although know he will get eaten if he's not quick)
2. Keep him in the tank water which is in a bucket, likely to go cold though . . Could put him in then airing cupboard

If he does survive, what would I need to buy for the tank in the morning?

Help!

For the night you could put the fry in a plastic bag with clean tank water and float the bag in the tank. In the morning buy a net breeder and keep it in that till it is to big to fit in the other fishes mouths?

that sounds great, except I have a biorb which has a bubble tube up the middle so the poor thing would get shaken, rattled & rolled. any other ideas?

What if you get a plastic cup, poke a few holes in it and clip it to the side of the tank?

You could lip the bag with a closepin nd see if it will stay or catch him nd keep him in your net for the net.

Do you have a net that is fine enough he can't get through? Balance the net at the top of the tank for the night.

Thank you everyone, baby is now balanced in a Jaffa cake tub, with holes floating on top. I have a 30 litre tank with 3 platys, 3 guppies and six neons. Can I keep him, or is my tank going to have a fit?

Defiantly keep him. First buy a net breeder and keep him in there till he gets about an inch in length or big enough to not fit in the other fish mouths.

Back
Top Bottom