Help tiny white bugs in my tank !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently bought all new decorations and gravel for my 29 gallon freshwater tank and decided to get my tank running again . The first time was extremely bad I had tiny hairlike worms in the gravel along with tiny white bugs !! The worms infected the fish and would eventually pop out of the chest causing instant death to the fish. I gave up after several months and put the tank in the garage for a year . I washed the tank in white vinegar before storage . I moved to another state about 8 hours away and decided to start the tank again . I was convinced id never have the same problem again but I was wrong . I'm starting to see white moving spots on the glass again. It's only been four weeks since I started the tank . When I asked the three pet stores where I used to live not one person could tell me what I had in my tank and now I have been to the only two pet stores in this new town I'm in and still people don't seem to know what these bugs are . I was given some herbal parasite chemical but it didn't do the trick . Fortunately I don't see any worms .......yet. Can anyone tell me what these white bugs are ?! And how to rid them if they are harmful because no one else seems to know or have never heard of these white tiny bugs . Look closely at the beginning of the video

No I don't think so . They are so small you need a microscope . But of you look really close you can see them just above the gravel basically walking along the glass . If my videos would post you would know what I'm talking about but I can't seem to get them on here .
I've tried searching everywhere and can't find anything

Could be Copepods or seed shrimp (ostracods). Copepods are very small and move in a darting fashion along the glass and through the water. Seed shrimp are oval/round and either crawl on the glass or gravel and move in a corkscrew pattern in the open water.
You can do a Google image search for these and compare it to what you are seeing in your tank.
BTW: Both are harmless
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Planaria. Over feeding and not getting all detritus out at water changes is what starts and keeps them in your tank. As for the hair like worms you had before, that would be detritus worms. They are little more than an irritant to the fish, and wouldn't be able to kill any. They do however indicate a tank and waters condition that is capable of causing fish to expire.

You can just upload the video to youtube (or a similar site) and then send us the link. Or, google the other suggestions given and see if any other those look like your culprit.

Back
Top Bottom