Help!!! Urgent Rescue - what is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbanner

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is this fish?? Just rescued her.

Someone dropped (dumped bc they were moving! Grrr) this little beauty off at my husband's job, where they have a tank full of cichlids, so of COURSE she'll fit right in (sarcasm). They didn't put her in the tank tho - she's been in a bag (floated in that tank at hubby's job) for two days... Two whole days!

I have a fully cycled 20 gal QT tank that am putting her in to momentarily... But I need to know what she is in order to properly care for her.

Any and all advice is welcome. Water parameters... Food... Temp... I need anything you can give me please.

I have a 55 gal w/ two fancy golds (this fish will not be going in there), and I only know fancies.

Thanks!!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1437247692053.jpg
    1437247692053.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 122
I thought she looked the shape of a molly. But I've never seen one this color... With the black tips on the tail. I'm super ignorant though.

Google just showed me a platy pic that looks just like her.
(Google and I)'ve got it from here. ?

Thanks Caleb!

Thanks! And I know now that she is a he (thanks to the interwebs)...
I'd planned on keeping him in QT tank for a while, but do you think eventually he could go in w my fantails? He's only about 1.5 inches nose to tip... And my fancies are about 4 and 5 inches now.
I'm mostly worried that he'll nip at their fins/tails...

Thanks! And I know now that she is a he (thanks to the interwebs)...
I'd planned on keeping him in QT tank for a while, but do you think eventually he could go in w my fantails? He's only about 1.5 inches nose to tip... And my fancies are about 4 and 5 inches now.
I'm mostly worried that he'll nip at their fins/tails...

I wouldn't. For the main reason of goldfish are cold water and he is a tropical fish.

Caleb

Yeah, platys need warm water and the fantails would not like the temp that the platy likes.

You guys are awesome... Thanks for educating me and helping this little guy.

It's a twin bar platy. I have some just like it. They are so pretty. I would not house with goldfish, but they do well in a community friendly tank.

Thanks! He's in my 20 gal qt tank by himself temporarily. A friend is cycling a new tank and then he'll make his big move to a permanent home ?

Check out the temp requirements. They can be just fine with Goldies. I kept mine together granted there were 6 adults plus babies, Rainbow Blue Platy with my 4" adopted Oranda. I think they are fine with mid 60-70F. Happy as can be.

Im my experience they are terrible nippers when kept alone. When i have a community of them they are ok, but when kept single i have found that they bite long fins constantly. 2 bettas and an angel have been killed by them before i could stop it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, someone else said they can nip, so I'm not taking any chances with my fantails... one of them already has a lame tail fin from an injury years ago... And the other lost a part of a tail fin (all my fault... I'm so ashamed...) during The Gravel Vacuuming Incident of 2015.

The lady who will be taking this platy is going to ramp up to getting a few more once her tank it's cycled, but probably all male since she doesn't want fry.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom