Help Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcidRainFalls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My name is Christina, I'm 29 and from Boston, MA. I've very very little experience with fish. I started a 5 gallon tank setup with a bunch of plants, a statue, gravel, heater, filter, and three guppies. They seem to be doing well even though the water is murky thanks to some poor pet store, tank cycling advice. Regardless I'm loving the experience.

My dad was recently diagnosed with cancer and life has been hectic and confusing. I find watching my fish swim and interact relaxes me. I'm hoping to make some friends and learn more about this hobby that I am planning to pursue.

I've decided to slowly start a 20 gallon tank set up a friend gave me. I have a very small budget. But I am hoping to find some distraction in it all. I've done a lot of research, but still just keep coming up with more questions with every answer. If you think you'd like to coach me through some of this or just be a friend I'd appreciate either.

Thanks,
-Christina

Hi Christina :)

There is a lot to be said about the benefits of watching fish.

Here are a few quick questions.

Is the 20G currently stocked?
How often do you think you'll be able to do water changes of around 30-40%?
Do you understand the concept of cycling?

My father beat cancer so not only can I appreciate your situation I can also say it's far from hopeless so chin up :)

My tank is in pieces. No water yet and no fish or live plants.

I have a basic understanding of the few ways to cycle a tank and what cycling is.

I think every two to three weeks would be responsible for water changes. But I'll do whatever it takes.

I just want to take baby steps in the appropriate order. I'm assuming gravel and water are step one.

Step 1 is planning.

If you're only looking at changing the water every 2-3 weeks it's best to go with a light stocking.

If you're after an aesthetic tank the best suggestions I can offer are schooling fish like rasbora or tetras and some cories for the bottom.

Do you have any thoughts on how you'd like to stock your tank?

To be honest. No ideas. I only know goldfish bettas and guppies. I'll look up you suggestions though thanks.

I was also wondering if you could give me some advice on my one or two gallon tank. I thought it was five. It has three guppies and has been running for like two to three weeks and is still cloudy. I'm getting the water tested tomorrow. But the fish seem happy.

If this tank ever cycles and clears up can I use it's bacteria to start my 20 gallon?

And what kind of maintence does my 2 gallon require. Can and would a bottom feeder be ok or even help?

Sorry lots of questions. I appreciate any insure you may have.

Thanks
-Christina

To be honest. No ideas. I only know goldfish bettas and guppies. I'll look up you suggestions though thanks.

I was also wondering if you could give me some advice on my one or two gallon tank. I thought it was five. It has three guppies and has been running for like two to three weeks and is still cloudy. I'm getting the water tested tomorrow. But the fish seem happy.

If this tank ever cycles and clears up can I use it's bacteria to start my 20 gallon?

And what kind of maintence does my 2 gallon require. Can and would a bottom feeder be ok or even help?

Sorry lots of questions. I appreciate any insure you may have.

Thanks
-Christina

Well a lot of the stocking suggestions depend on the availability of fish in your area.

Personally I find large schools of schooling fish much more soothing than large fish or hyper active individual fish.

As such I would suggest looking into neon tetras, harlequin rasbora, rummynoses or head/tail light tetras. Either googling their images or visiting your local fish store (LFS).

Do you have a filter or heater for the 30G and if so what are the details?

As for your 1G tank, cloudy water is a sign of a cycling tank however in a tank that size I don't believe you'll have the ability to cultivate sufficient bacteria to ever fully cycle. As such your options will be either to rehome the guppies (Give them back to the LFS or someone you know with a tank) or look at putting them in your 30G. If you'd prefer to keep the guppies this has ramifications for your stocking of course.

Well a lot of the stocking suggestions depend on the availability of fish in your area.

Personally I find large schools of schooling fish much more soothing than large fish or hyper active individual fish.

As such I would suggest looking into neon tetras, harlequin rasbora, rummynoses or head/tail light tetras. Either googling their images or visiting your local fish store (LFS).

Do you have a filter or heater for the 30G and if so what are the details?

As for your 1G tank, cloudy water is a sign of a cycling tank however in a tank that size I don't believe you'll have the ability to cultivate sufficient bacteria to ever fully cycle. As such your options will be either to rehome the guppies (Give them back to the LFS or someone you know with a tank) or look at putting them in your 30G. If you'd prefer to keep the guppies this has ramifications for your stocking of course.

I now feel rushed to get the twenty gallon up and running for the sake of my guppies. I think my first big hurdle for me will be how I choose to cycle the tank. I'm not sure I have the time to cycle without fish and have my guppies survive. Right now I am kinda making them first priority. I'm a bit attached and I feel responsible for there well being so to speak. I don't know the guppies seem quite happy though. I am so lost in all this.

I've cycled six aquariums ranging from 10 to 45 gallons using both the Fish-In and Fish-less methods and I've never had cloudy water.

Cloudy water is either an algae bloom (green) or a bacterial bloom (white). In the case of a bacterial bloom... it's not the same beneficial bacteria that you're trying to cultivate when you're cycling the tank. In fact, the bacteria in the bloom reproduce WAY faster (which is why the water gets cloudy) and can outcompete the bacteria you DO want for living space in the aquarium.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. The vast majority of the mistakes that I've made can be attributed to rushing.

Both cycling methods take approximately the same amount of time. The biggest difference I found is that the Fish-In method requires a lot more water changing to keep the water safe for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom