HELP!! Water Dangerously High!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouthy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello hobbiest, I am in need of emergency help with my tank. It is a community tank with shrimps and a few fish. I've recently found out that my tank has been on a increase of the temperature and it's at a level that I can't cook it off! I've looked through the Internet for various solutions including ice and cold water but it has yielded no results. My thermometer says 94F and it's been so for two days now, HELPPPP!!!

I am assuming you do not have a heater in the tank that could be the problem. And that you have turned off the lights. Aquarium chillers are available but can be expensive.

I do have a heater in my tank, a 50w tetra heater. The red light indicater is never on since it's already so hot.

I did assume that my thermometer was busted so I used a second thermometer and it said the same thing.

Check the heater, sometimes they break and just keep heating regardless. Might as well take it our for now anyways.

When I had this problem I would fill 2 liter soda bottles or other big bottles with water and freeze them, do like two or three. Then you can alternate them as one starts melting just swap it for a fully frozen one. Just be careful if you have any serious water flow from a filter so it's not banging around in the tank. Also having a fan blowing across the top of the tank can help

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kind of an obvious question, but how warm is room where the tank located? Normal room temp (~65-80 F)?
Yes, unplug and remove the heater for now.

Yes I've been doing ice in a baggy and floating it on the water surface, after 3-4 bags of ice it only brings it down about 3 degrees but ultimately a goes right back up...

My room temp is roughly around 70-73 depending on the time of day (centralized AC/heater so all year around is the same).

I'm adding my voice to the chorus saying get that heater out of there.

You could also do a drip water change adding cool water slowly.

I do find it odd that a tank could be ~20 degrees F higher than the room temp with no heater in it.
Run a fan on the tank or near the surface to help dissipate the heat.

I do find it odd that a tank could be ~20 degrees F higher than the room temp with no heater in it.
Run a fan on the tank or near the surface to help dissipate the heat.
If you read the comments they say they do have a heater....

Back
Top Bottom