Help water temp. Is 90 degrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have my tank in a room with no AC and the tank is 90 degrees. Its a fw tropical tank. I live in south Texas and its extremely hot here. Anyone please help me find a way to keep my tank at atleast 80

Maybe you could make ice cube from your tank's water. It will be very difficult since you will get fluctuations for temp. That could kill your fish.

Terrance said:
Maybe you could make ice cube from your tank's water. It will be very difficult since you will get fluctuations for temp. That could kill your fish.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. That don't sound too good. Any other suggestions???

Maybe move the tank to the most central part of your home? That would be where temperature would be the most stabilized and then try the ice cubes? It would probably be too much work though. I had that same issue last summer with my first tank, on top of being a newbie. I just kept putting ice cubes in. When is the air conditioner man coming out?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Maybe move the tank to the most central part of your home? That would be where temperature would be the most stabilized and then try the ice cubes? It would probably be too much work though. I had that same issue last summer with my first tank, on top of being a newbie. I just kept putting ice cubes in. When is the air conditioner man coming out?

Ummmm we have window units and just not in this room. I just think the ice cubes will send em into shock from fluctuations and I don't wanna move it anywhere cause this is my tank room. Any other suggestions and thank you all for all your help

Have u tried fans blowing across the top and airstones to aid in evaporation. That should help a little..

Flossie said:
Have u tried fans blowing across the top and airstones to aid in evaporation. That should help a little..

No I haven't tried that but my water already evaporates fast

o.jonathan.o said:
No I haven't tried that but my water already evaporates fast

Its worth a try ... Might help a little bit more

fill some 16oz soda bottles with water and freeze them, add them to the tank as needed, don't remove the cap and you don't have to worry about chlorinated water getting into the tank.

This is a method that lots of people use who have issues with climate control.

You can do the water bottles, or if you already have ice cubes available, put them in a baggie and put them in the tank. There are water chillers available, but they are large, expensive, and obnoxious. Might be something to look at though. There are fans that have built in air conditioners you can get at Walmart for around $50-$60 to keep that particular room cooler.

I know that it's your tank room, but if you aren't able to find a way to cool down the fishes, it is probably best for their sakes to move them elsewhere in the house, at least for the time being.

I know a fan seems like a good idea, but it will not cool the aquarium down unless the surrounding air is cooler than the aquarium. Temperatures will always seek to equalize, but water takes much longer to do so. Increased evaporation will quicken the energy transfer. If your house is say 95 deg and your tank is 90 deg, a fan will only speed up the process and raise the temperature of tank. Plus, a fan uses electricity and creates heat. Put a fan in a closed room and it will make the room hotter. It will make it feel cooler to human skin(evaporation/sweat), but does not in fact make the room cooler.

If you have a water changer that attaches to a sink(or even a garden hose, though I'd double check hose is safe), you could make a poor mans chiller.

Run a loop of tubing inside the tank and slowly run cold water through the tubing and have it dump into sink/tub/drain or out a window(or in a garbage can/tub for your next water change). You would probably only need a trickle going through the tubing. Feel the temp of the water that exits the tubing. Turn down flow until you feel the exiting water getting warmer. The water will absorb the heat via the tubing and remove it from the aquarium without any direct contact with the aquarium water.

Last edited:
Yesterday, when my one of my saltwater aquariums got up to 89 degrees, I put a bag of ice in there, and kept refilling it when the ice melted. I believe it overheated because of my lights being on too long.

I like all these ideas especially the chiller, it sounds cool but expensive and its only a 10 g tank. Would a water cooler work for a 10g tank

Back
Top Bottom