Help, water temp to high.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, i turned up my water temp to treat what i thought was ick, but it was not ich, anyway i turned the heaters down to lower the water temp from 87f back to 79f but my room temp is 86f and has been for 2 weeks because of the weather anyway its not planning on cooling anytime soon and i cant lower the temp of the tank. I have my window wide open, lid on the tanks open with the ceiling fan on full power but with a 30c room temp how are you ment to lower the temp of the tanks please help as the water has been at the temp for a month!

Thanks in advance

You can do a small water change and put cooler water in and then set up a fan to go across the top of the water. You could also add an ice cube or two every few hours. I have the same problem lol that's what people told me to do

I've been using the ice cube method. With the heater removed my tank temperature ranges from 72-74 in the dead of night and up to about 78-80 during the day lately, a bit high for my WC's.

Leaving the flap on my hood open cools it down slightly as well. Every little bit helps.

The question is how do YOU survive......your room is 86 degrees?

Get an A/C!!!

HAHA i no but you give me the money and i will!!!!! its alway at 23-25c but 30c to hot lol

Dude you can get a cheap A/C unit for < $100.......Use less electricity elsewhere to compensate for the higher bills........Are times that tough?

yeah well, u need a tube to allow the hot air out how do you do that on a second floor with brick walls, and parents? if there was a way you can get the air cold without the tube to remove the heat tell me, i wish there was sometinhg you could put in your room perhaps a box in your room that would blow out cool air without the need of building work!

Do you have a window? Put an A/C in the window, lower the room temperature to something comfortable, like 68-70 degrees and the water temperature in the tank will follow....I don't know how you can even stay in a room that is 86 degrees in the summer time.

i would love to put mum & dad say hell no, i even cant sleep!!!!!!! but i do have a window lol

Tell them to try and sleep in there. Doubt it will work, they sound a little bull-headed. No offense, my girlfriend is the same way about tanks.

hmm, i care more about the fish really, is it okay for them to be at that tem?

i wouldn't exactly remove or turn the heater off. You don't want the tank to drop to 72 at night and jump back into the 80's during the day. The fish would much prefer a more stable tank temp like say 80 at night and 84 during the day. The big jump will put more stress on the fish then the tank a little too hot. Just remember that as the tank gets warmer,the more oxygen you will need to add either by increased surface agitation or bubbler of some kind. It has to do with the warmer water not being able to hold as much oxygen for the fish.

Try adding a small fan to blow across the top of the water. You'll be amazed at how much of a drop you'll get. And leave the heater on at about 78. You don't want the big fluctuations.

Thank you all. :) its all starting to work, the ice and the little fan across the water, it at about 80 so great job, thanks again.

A good plan of action I've read about is to take 2 - 1 liter bottles of water and freeze them.

Then put one in the tank to cool the tank down and when it melts put the 2nd one in while putting the 1st one back in the freezer to freeze.

I haven't tried this and I don't know how bottle size will affect tank size so I would start small and work up to a size that works for your tank size.

Back
Top Bottom