help!! what are these ants doing to my fishtanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi,

yesterday i found a bunch of ants crawling up and down 1 of my tanks.. and bunching up along the edges where the silicone is. I got rid of them.. and today there is a huge trail of ants heading to my other tank and there are heaps in between the plastic edging and the silicone!!! I've just noticed that the back of the tank has a gap (between the plastic edging and the glass) and it looks like silicone is ment to fill there because the front and sides of the tank have silicone there. Has anyone else had ants in their tanks?? what are they doing?.. i'm so worried their eating the silicone and the tank will leak :(

thanks,
annie

never heard of silicone eating ants. most likely fish food fell and they are cleaning up.

i had ants in one of my 10 gals before. All they did was be anoying and built there colonie right in one of the lights. i think all they were doing was getting any fish food that was stuck to the inside. I dont remember exactly wat i did but i found were they were coming in from the house. put some of the liquid poison there. they were gone after a wile (i think). but for the colonie in the light i just left the light on to fry them.it worked. then cleaned it best i could.

so anyway they might just be looking for somewere to build a colonie. i would find were they are coming in from the house, and put some of the liquid poison stuff there.

hope i helped:)

well no poison near the fish tank just find were they are coming into the house from and put it there.

Yes, but the point of the poison is for the ants to get into it and take it back to the nest. So if they are on their way thru to get food not on their way back to the nest, don't you think it's possible they could bring poison into the tank? I do.

If your afraid of chemicals, you can use diatomatious earth. You can mix it with water and drink it, but it slices the ants and dehydrates them.

Back
Top Bottom