HELP! What fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louandjames

Aquarium Advice Newbie
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31bFsvRfZoGRjZzTGxyWWE2RGM/view?usp=sharing

Hi all,
Would greatly appreciate your advice. We just bought this fish and the fish man had a strong accent, we couldn't understand what it was called. He said something like "boutifoot boopy".

The man at the aquarium shop said it would be fine to have him in with our gouramis (gold, blue and opaline) and silver sharks. However I've just decided he looks a little bit like a cyclid... and even I know they don't mix well with gouramis!

Any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated!

Kinda looks like a young firemouth cichlid or a young bolivian ram if it's either of those (not too sure) but they are both peaceful even with my julii cory cats

Looks a lot like my Bolivian Rams. I don't know anything about gouramis but these rams are very peaceful, I have four with two angel fish.

By Silver shark, do you mean Bala shark? Look it up and see if they are the same with what you have, if they are you will need a seriously large tank...

I can't currently see your picture but will try again in a few hours and see if I can ID it.

Oh, brilliant, thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it :)
Looked up more pics of bolivian rams and that is definitely him!

By Silver shark, do you mean Bala shark? Look it up and see if they are the same with what you have, if they are you will need a seriously large tank...

I can't currently see your picture but will try again in a few hours and see if I can ID it.

We have a nice big wall tank so that shouldn't be a problem, thanks!

Columbian Sharks are sold often as "Silver Tip Sharks" and are actually brackish fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Large is relative, do you have any dimensions? I don't doubt your judgement. I would just like to be sure.

how come yours doesn't have the red specks on its fin on his back? when mine flares up he has red on the very tips of his fin but doesn't have the black line on his eye.:fish2:

I believe he wasn't mature yet. I came home today to the top half of his body being a dark gray and all the edges of his fins are red.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

bolivian rams were not my first choice but petco wanted $19 for a GBR and I'm not paying $19 for a GBR although i like their colors more than the bolivian

They get color as they mature. Mine just really got his yellow. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

$19 for a GBR??! I saw petsmart with GBRs on sale for $5 a peice and I could help to buy a couple...

$19 for a GBR??! I saw petsmart with GBRs on sale for $5 a peice and I could help to buy a couple...

I got a female GBR today from my PetSmart for $7

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom