HELP! What is this?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mouthy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is this??? Is this a parasite?! If so how can I treat this??? This is taken with a macro lens so it's very blown up, actual size is probably less than a cm

My tank is a shrimp tank with over 30 frys and 20 adults. So far only one adult death (this morning) after 3 months.

I was going to move my shrimps over to a 20 gallon but now I'm worried that I might bring this over IF it's a parasite.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 93
Aren't planaria a lot bigger than this? And have a black color to it? This one is just clear and very hard to see.

Hydra. Usually not a problem for adult shrimp. Can be an issue for fry especially if there are numerous hydra present. If you are seeing a few then I would not worry about it. They are usually attached to a surface so the risk of transferring them should be low.
A trusted method of eradication for hydra and planaria is a medicine called Fenbendazole. It is a deworming agent for animals. Available at Amazon. Shrimp/snail safe.

Thanks guys for the quick response. This is my first tank and able to double up on my shrimps so I got paranoid and very worried. I'll dose my tank tomorrow than with the medication and keep an eye out.

Just make sure you don't use anything with copper, it'll kill your shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm curious, if I deworming tank, won't it cause a ammonia spike from all the dying worms??

In Saltwater aquarium they use Joe's juice the equivalent is Pyroxide and works as well

I came across some you tube videos that helped alot I'll try to find those links and post

Back
Top Bottom