Help What is this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elliebean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added drift wood and changed my albino plecostamus’ food to algae wafers. Can you tell me if these yellow things are coming from the drift wood, my plecostamus, are remnants of the food or something strange I should worry about? IMG_1684.jpgIMG_1681.jpgIMG_1683.jpgIMG_1682.jpg

Your Tank

I added drift wood and changed my albino plecostamus’ food to algae wafers. Can you tell me if these yellow things are coming from the drift wood, my plecostamus, are remnants of the food or something strange I should worry about? View attachment 312384View attachment 312385View attachment 312386View attachment 312387

Hello El...

This looks like a type of fungus. This isn't a problem. The stuff grows where uneaten food falls into cracks in driftwood or crevices in the bottom material of the tank. As long as you're following a sound water change routine, by removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, there's not a pathogen or parasite that can live in pure water conditions. Fungus isn't generally on the menu for tropical fish. Ramshorn snails, however, will clean this up in a short time.

B

Back
Top Bottom