Help what kind of algae is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's covering my amazon sword cutting and don't want it to die I waited so long for it to sprout fro the mother plant ANY help would be awesome. Cures without taking the plant out would be awesom

Wasn't like that until I cut it off the mother and switched to a different take

Attachments

• image-1922508350.jpg
    image-1922508350.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 119
Atxpunx said:
It's covering my amazon sword cutting and don't want it to die I waited so long for it to sprout fro the mother plant ANY help would be awesome. Cures without taking the plant out would be awesom

What does it look like? Have you tried brushing it off? Is it only the on the one plant?

Here's a site that should help: http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/

I have to hold it in one hand and brush kind of hard with a tooth brush. It was the only plant that had it in my twenty gallon now it's starting to show up on the rest. The pic in question definitely has as it the worst.

If you introduce a snail or algae eating shrimp, they may take care of your problem.

Looks like BBA to me. No easy fix unfortunately. Increasing CO2, dosing with excel, reducing lighting may help, but it's a tough one to shake. The ONLY critters that I've seen actively eat BBA are hungry juvenile SAEs.

BBA is a major pain! If you're injecting co2, raise it up to about 40ppm. Spot treat daily with H2O2. Manual removal of the worst infected leaves will help, but you have to be dilligent with the spot treating. If you're not injecting co2, you should start... or reduce your lighting. Maybe try breaking up your photoperiod in to a 4 on, 4 off, 4 on schedule.

I don't have co2 do I need it with two 23 watt compact fluorescents in a twenty gallon?

Back
Top Bottom