help with a little of everything...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnlucky5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon with:
1 angel
3 neon dwarf rainbows
1 gold graumi
2 red eye tetras
3 albino Cory cats
And 2 Otos
Is that over crowed?

My lights
Dual t5 6700k 18w each
Single t8 full spectrum 18w
3 single blue LEDs for night time.
On for 6 hours a day blue lights turn off at 3am.

My problem is that I'm getting black beard alge, and my plants have stopped growing for some reason, I have dirt substrate and black gravel for a cap.

My ph was 7.5
Everything else was 0 except nitrite the last one witch is about 5ppm every week I do my water change.

Will a high ph stunt plant growth? I took my coral out of my filter and tested tap, it was reading 7. So taking out the coral should help bring it down since I have my drift wood to help as well.

Any help would be awesome! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439275692.647948.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439275708.051106.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 29 gallon with:
1 angel
3 neon dwarf rainbows
1 gold graumi
2 red eye tetras
3 albino Cory cats
And 2 Otos
Is that over crowed?

My lights
Dual t5 6700k 18w each
Single t8 full spectrum 18w
3 single blue LEDs for night time.
On for 6 hours a day blue lights turn off at 3am.

My problem is that I'm getting black beard alge, and my plants have stopped growing for some reason, I have dirt substrate and black gravel for a cap.

My ph was 7.5
Everything else was 0 except nitrite the last one witch is about 5ppm every week I do my water change.

Will a high ph stunt plant growth? I took my coral out of my filter and tested tap, it was reading 7. So taking out the coral should help bring it down since I have my drift wood to help as well.

Any help would be awesome! View attachment 276374View attachment 276375

I don't think you are overcrowded.
Did you mean your nitrAtes are 5ppm? How much water are you changing weekly? With your tap ph at 7, you shouldn't need to alter it.
Low nitrates contribute to BBA. Do you dose fertilizers? If so, what types?

No fertilizers, maybe nitrate the one that turns red/orange. Lol I thought extra nitrate was bad and feed bba. That we should have 0. It's a low tech tank... What about my lights? Too much? And I do about 50% water change

No fertilizers, maybe nitrate the one that turns red/orange. Lol I thought extra nitrate was bad and feed bba. That we should have 0. It's a low tech tank... What about my lights? Too much? And I do about 50% water change

Yeah, that would be nitrate. I like to keep mine in the 10-20ppm range.
Have you had issues with other types of algae? There are lots of threads on causes and treatments here. Just use the search function.
I had a problem with it over a year ago, but a couple of Siamese Algae Eaters, or SAE's as they are commonly called here, got rid of every single bit of it and it hasn't been back. I do remember my nitrate levels being too low during the outbreak. I dosed KN03 from Green Leaf Aquarium for a while and along with the SAE's it's gone.

Back
Top Bottom