Help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10G has green algae on everything (mostly glass) that is very hard to scrub off. Is there a reason for this and how do i get rid of it?

To get rid of algae, you can do a blackout for 3 days. The reason you have it is probably because of too much light.

What lighting do you have on the tank, and how long do you leave it on for?

As dk said, a blackout will get rid of the algae, however in most scenarios it has to be for at least ten days. But, if you don't find the source and fix it from there it will keep coming back.

You describe the algae as really hard to scrub off, this is most likely spot algae and nothing will touch this as far as algae eaters. The easiest way to get it off the glass is to use a razor blade (do not use a razor blade if you have an acrylic tank).

Sounds like green spot algae. Check the nitrites and nitrates. I use a credit/gift card to scrap my tanks and they are glass. Do a large water change after scraping then reduce how long your lights are on.

I have gotten rid of mine in planted tanks with reduced light, scraping and water changes. It does take awhile but it does work.

I edited it you must have posted before I did lol. 12 hours or so.

That is way to long, even if you have live plants. Cut the lighting back to a maximum of 8 hours, and if you don't have live plants, only turn the lights on when you are viewing the fish-or as minimal as you can.

I use the same lights as you do and run them for 12 hours. No C02, substrate is 1/2 inch potting soil, about 2 inches of fluorite and still haven't had a problem with algae.

What type of substrate do you use? Play sand has silica in it and will cause algae.

Its just the blue and black rocks from wal mart lol its the kids tank. Have you had any luck with plants with those lights?

Back
Top Bottom