help with brackish water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kookie Snatcha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up 125 gallon brackish water aquarium, and was wondering what fish can live in it, the salinity is going to be around 1.005. Iheard that some cichlids can live in brackish water, the Lake Malawi cichlids I think. The fish have to be able to live with Fiddler crabs as well, and yes I know the crabs need dry land I have that covered. Thanks for the help!

Silver tipped sharks are really cool... They are brackish ... I wanted to get like 3 but i forgot that they were brackish ):
I think they would be alright with your crabs...
An maybe mollies too... Or silver monos...

Malawi cichlids don't live in brackish. The cichlid salts are more minerals that are found in their home territory. However, you can do Malawis just fine without them, and no, they wouldn't survive in a SG of 1.005.

I use reef salt for my BW tank since it has calcium and other minerals where as aquarium salt doesn't. I also have live plants.

Here's some links that I used when I was setting up my BW tank.

Starting a Brackish Aquarium, what you need and what you can keep.

BracPlants

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Now, this fish list isn't a complete one, you'll have to do some extra research, but this shows some of what will survive. There are also Indian glass fish, some pupfish and others.

Brackish Fish: Brackish Water Fish for Brackish Aquariums and Tanks

For a very uncommon (mostly) bottom dwelling shoaler look into sheepshead minnows. They are pretty and very active and are a good underutilized bottom half schooler option for brackish tanks. These are not my fish but an example of this species in spawning mode (not too friendly in this phase but should be fine in a bigger tank, mine have always ignored other species)

Dominant Sheeps head minnow - YouTube

Monos,scats,mollies,and archer fish are all good choices.Archer fish are very fascinating as they shoot down their prey,but this requires feeding live insects.

Although there's two threads about the same tank now, chromides are the cichlids that live in freshwater, two species rom the genus etroplus, green and orange chromide cichlids

Back
Top Bottom