Help with Columbian Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
A while back I picked up some Columbian Sharks AKA Black Fin Shark. They are currently in my 50 gallon breeder community tank. Now the first reaction of course is, they need a much larger tank than that and that is exactly what I'm here to ask about. When dealing with something like these guys where it appears they should be in at least a 70 gallon, what is more important, is it the footprint of the tank or the volume of water?

The reason I ask is this. I unfortunately don't have room for a 70+ gallon tank, at least not in a room where they would get attention. I could put them in one of our spare rooms in the basement but it seems a shame to have them there where no one would see them. So what I was thinking of was building a shallow water tank. I have room where I could build out a tank that would be 36-48" long, 15" wide and about a foot high. Technically I think this would put the tank in the 25-40 gallon range depending on the length. But if I'm building it with swimming room in mind for bottom dwellers would that work for them?

Right now there's just alot of stuff in the community tank like drift wood and plants and such so I don't feel that they get the swimming room they deserve. Also being a breeder tank it's only 36" long so I'd like to make it longer. This would act basically as an estuary tank where Manny and Ramone are what everything is built around.

The most important thing is the footprint of the tank. They are going to need to be able to swim up and down the tank and also turn around with ease

Yeah the turning thing is their issue in the current tank. They very very rarely ever go towards the top of the tank. They seem to like to stick to the bottom.

I do not, that is also part of the plan here. Trying to do what I can to keep them healthy without having to return them to the store or stash them out of site.

Yea they are also a brackish water fish so I'd just start looking into that and if you have any questions I can help you out with anything brackish. It's my love :) lol

Ok good, they definitely need brackish water. I don't think 36-48" long, 15" wide and about a foot high is big enough for them. I disagree with a 70 gallon minimum for them. Many get over a foot long and are very active and I just don't feel the footprint of a 70 gal tank is suitable for them. I think 6' long 18" wide is a good minimum for them.

Back
Top Bottom