Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My brother has a 20G high and I'm trying to help him with his fish stuff. He has 2 giant danios, 3 silver dollar , 2 albinotiger barbs , mystery snail I gave him since I took common plecos from him . He has driftwood and a couple fake plants. I don't know too much about his fish but think the barbs are shoaling fish. I don't know where to get started in his tank (probably a PWC) I have 4 tanks if some need to be moved (check profile to see what I have in them) any suggestions or advice needed!!

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
My brother has a 20G high and I'm trying to help him with his fish stuff. He has 2 giant danios, 3 silver dollar , 2 albinotiger barbs , mystery snail I gave him since I took common plecos from him . He has driftwood and a couple fake plants. I don't know too much about his fish but think the barbs are shoaling fish. I don't know where to get started in his tank (probably a PWC) I have 4 tanks if some need to be moved (check profile to see what I have in them) any suggestions or advice needed!!
Well, the silver dollars need schools, but they get huge. Up to a foot sometimes. They need to go

The giant danios also need schools, but they get big. I dont recommend them for a 20 either.

The tiger barbs can stay, just get them some buddies

Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also He has a convict cichlid thanks ^ if He gets bigger tank are they all compatible?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
Also He has a convict cichlid thanks ^ if He gets bigger tank are they all compatible?
Are you askig if a convict compatable with barbs?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Are you askig if a convict compatable with barbs?
What is it compatible with in the tank? Right now it looks like the barbs are getting bullied because they are hiding.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the question is if all can live together in a bigger tank. I suspect the barbs, the giant danios, and the silver dollars could if you got a big enough tank (harder to do for the Silver Dollars at 5 to 8 inches, less difficult for the barbs and 4 inch danios) but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they probably will not get along with the convicts once the convicts are full grown, if they're not already. Cichlids, for the most part, get kind of nasty with smaller fish and territorial with fish their size.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylNeko View Post
I think the question is if all can live together in a bigger tank. I suspect the barbs, the giant danios, and the silver dollars could if you got a big enough tank (harder to do for the Silver Dollars at 5 to 8 inches, less difficult for the barbs and 4 inch danios) but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they probably will not get along with the convicts once the convicts are full grown, if they're not already. Cichlids, for the most part, get kind of nasty with smaller fish and territorial with fish their size.

+1 on this.

Id get rid of the silver dollars and fill out the tiger barb school. They usually prefer 6+ in a group.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatability

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com